Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Got Milk?
Posted By: weatherwise2, 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM

I actually need some help in getting good photos on this place.

It is abandoned and off a busy highway and tucked in relatively close to other buildings, including a gas station with large signs. I have been there at morning and dusk (it is on my commute) and none of the "magic hour lights" seem to do anything since there is other trees or other structures relatively tall nearby. Any ideas?

Views: 2,522
04-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Maybe try an HDR.... might make it "pop" a bit more.

You could always try a CPL as well to make the sky a bit more dramatic.

D.
04-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I might wait until some summer clouds or an afternoon storm and try again with the HDR
what is CPL?
04-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may not be so much the light or time of day but the sky in these shots and the contrast. The sky is fairly washed out and lacks drama. Try to pick a day when the sky has more interest. The contrast seems fairly flat in these as well.. I did a little adjustment to the first image.
WB (minor correction)
Curves to add contrast and adjust light levels.. Slight shadow recovery
produced this:
Name:  2391464432_46b4c47b83.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  69.6 KB

Additional Levels adjusting produced this:

Name:  2391464432_46b4c47b83 second.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  144.4 KB

I'm sure with the RAW file a lot more could be done to make the scene pop. But I agree that HDR might be a good tool for this subject. Look at shooting angles as well. Bring a ladder or climb a tree if available. Get up close and shoot up while lying on the ground. It's all about imagination.

04-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Inactive Account

CPL = Circular Polarizer

I find it really makes the sky pop and enhances a somewhat dull sky.

It MIGHT be exactly what you need.

D.
04-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Agreed a CPL may just do the trick.
04-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. Peter what program did you use for those adjustments. I tried different things in Lightroom but did not get the amount of contrast in the sky that you were able to get. there is limited room for additional angle without getting gas stations signs or wires into the pictures but I will try for a better day and put a CPL on. I will also try HDR. I did n't have my tripod that day. the land/place is for sale and I would just hate to lose capturing a kinda neat building. Again Thanks
04-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Weather, I use paint.net (PN) (google that it's a freeware program like GIMP). The program is very similar to PS CC3 because many of the users write open source plugins from PS adapted for PN. I find it much easier than GIMP to navigate and make adjustments. If you downlaod it make sure you register for the forums and search for the extra plugins available. The shell of the program is fairly basic without those add ons. There are some very cool things you can do with it.
Plus the forums have tutorials and a Q&A section that is using the same forums profile as Pentax forums to get answers. I wanted CS3 but I haven't seen the need after using PN for about a year now. I've even bought a couple of CS3 how to books and used the techniques in PN.

I'm trying Lighhroom's new beta and not sure if I have a need for it. It has some decent tools though.

04-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Did you happen to shoot these in JPG or RAW?

D.
04-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did shoot them in raw so can go back and try new adjustments. I hjave about 10 pictures from that time but do pass it many days so can stop another time and try some others.
04-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
I actually need some help in getting good photos on this place.

It is abandoned and off a busy highway and tucked in relatively close to other buildings, including a gas station with large signs. I have been there at morning and dusk (it is on my commute) and none of the "magic hour lights" seem to do anything since there is other trees or other structures relatively tall nearby. Any ideas?

Two words, go inside.
04-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #12
Inactive Account

E-mail me the RAW of the first one.

I woudn't mind playing around for you as I am learning to do stuff too.

derek (at) soylentgeek.com

Thanks

D.
04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
Inactive Account

What a cool building, what did it used to be if I may ask? I agree with the others, a polorizing filter and some white balance tweeks will probably do the trick for you.
04-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hhays: back inthe old days I might have gone in on a lark but as an old man no way with the postings. Everything has been stripped and cleaned inside anyways at least from the windows.

Derek. sent a raw picture. Let me know how it comes out and send the product back.

Tech: I think it was an ice cream place. There is a functional creamer nearby that is a coffee shop. I actually sent the picture to my congressman and asked if it could be put on a historical preservation list. We will see. There were more of these theme buildings in the past.
04-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
Inactive Account

got the file.

I will keep you posted.

D.