Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Appreciating the bird photos...
Lens: Sun Opt Auto Zoom 85-210mm Camera: K-x ISO: 200 Aperture: F4.7 
Posted By: Knock, 12-18-2013, 08:04 PM

I've always appreciated the many spectacular bird photos posted on here, but I've never given it much of a shot myself. Today I put screwed on my old Sun Zoom and decided to give it a quick try. Yikes! That bird stuff ain't easy! I was hoping that going BW or sepia and heavy on the contrast with some tweaking of the lighting might help, but it seemed that sizing the pictures down (way down) is what helped the most! Haha. But seriously, the bird photos that I see on here daily are great. Keep it up please.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Views: 682
12-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good effort but I feel the busy effect of the branches and twigs is a distraction from the main image, other than that you got good sharp focus.
12-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Good effort but I feel the busy effect of the branches and twigs is a distraction from the main image, other than that you got good sharp focus.
Yes eaglem I agree. Often I would lose the bird amidst all the twigs, Possibly I could have pulled them away from the many branches with a 400mm, but the lens I was using was close to 200mm and just didn't have enough reach.to isolate the bird I was after, And if I get too crop-happy, the pictures can get rather noisy. It seemed the mocking bird knew that I didn't have proper bird equipment.....and he was mocking me all afternoon,
12-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Indeed birding is as much art as science you picked a tough area but well done.

12-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bird shots are not the easiest for keepers Shane.Heck-if I get one good one out of a dozen I'm happy.--charliezap
12-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The keywords to birding are practice, patience and knowledge. A long lense and some luck will help also
You did quite good for a first time!
12-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't beat yourself up. This was a good try and you will only get better. Tenz.NL is right about practice, patience and knowledge. Give yourself a nice pat on the back for this effort. Hard to pull off but a good try nonetheless.

12-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the kind words and encouragement. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this forum is by far the friendliest place I've ever encountered on the internet. You folks really add a lot to the pleasure of shooting pentax and learning photography.
12-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're welcome. We all learn from one another, and we are blessed here to have wonderfully talented and generous teachers. Keep shooting, and sharing!