Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Crusing - Grand Turks
Posted By: daacon, 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Our second port of call was the main Island in Grand Turks. We were quite surprised how improvised this place really was. We went downtown and all that was there was a couple of shacks. It is a great place for snorkeling and diving but from what we saw not much else. It was an eye opener for sure.

click on image twice for larger view

#1 - Start most mornings with a sunrise

#2 - Me enjoying one of the local beers - hey it was noon somewhere.

#4 - a couple of views of the Island

#6 - A 10 shot pano from the ship

#7 - Me heading back to the ship with my carry on

#8 - Just another ocean sunset before getting ready to well .....drink some more

Views: 1,270
12-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Flat , poor and expensive at one point In 1917, Canadian Prime Minister Robert Borden suggested that the Turks and Caicos join Canada. Would have been nice to have some native warm spot to go to however this suggestion was turned down more interest recently but nothing solid. Caribbean waters means great diving , I think it is still used as an offshore finance center. Once the salt production crahsed in the early '70s not much else but Tourism these days.
Nice shots, Dave. I'm enjoying your cruise vicariously. My youngest brother spent a year on Grand Turk doing "voluntary service overseas". He was a brand new engineering graduate and spent his time designing harbour installations and driving a dozer in the cemetery. It was very poor then (mid 1970s), but there was a US government operation that brought in some money. There wasn't much to do after working hours except drink at the club.