Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Kensington Market (Toronto) Outing
Posted By: dkittle, 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM

I went out to Kensington Market with a camera club yesterday and got some shots in before most of the shops opened up. It was great weather and there was lots of shoot. Here is a few pictures and a link to a bunch more.

Shot most using the DA* 50-135mm, 77ltd used for the portrait/light-fixture photos in the coffee shop.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.
Kensington Market with Don Mills Camera Club

Views: 1,395
04-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

great shots Don!

Even tho K-Market is kind of a dirty place (also kinda unnearving around 2AM) its one of the best photo ops in our city.
04-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice images BUT I'm sorry to say, you failed to capture Kensington Market, even if it was before opening.

I lived in Kensington on Augusta and on Spadina and Cecil in the 70's - it is a wonderful, wonderful place. Nothing like fresh bagels and cream cheese on saturday mornings.

The people, the cultures, the food...you have awakend so many memories of a very vibrant part of Toronto.
04-08-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots Don - really like #3 and #4.

04-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Nice images BUT I'm sorry to say, you failed to capture Kensington Market, even if it was before opening.

I lived in Kensington on Augusta and on Spadina and Cecil in the 70's - it is a wonderful, wonderful place. Nothing like fresh bagels and cream cheese on saturday mornings.

The people, the cultures, the food...you have awakend so many memories of a very vibrant part of Toronto.
have you been back since the 70's... a lot has changed.
04-08-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the series and they are all very good for different reasons.

But I totally agree with JC Sullivan. I've been there a couple of times and love the atmoshere of the area. That's not shown in your shots. Maybe another day.
04-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Nice shots Don! I just wanted to ask; do you find it more inspirational going with a group or if you are alone? I have never gone out with a group or camera club to shoot pics and wondered which situation you are more confident in coming up with creative images.

04-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments all!

To Serge's (Gooshin's) point, though, it seems to have a different character now than in decades past. I'm a recent (6 years) arrival in Toronto and to me Kensington is a fresh food market with quirky people. Since I'm too shy to take pictures of strangers, it was all about the food for me! (moreso in the gallery pics)

That said, I guess I'm going back to see if I can capture something of what makes it different from any old grocery here in town!

Jeff, I actually got a bit of both that day. Most of the club hung out in small groups taking pictures. I'm new to the club, so I spent a lot of time photographing on my own. Both were interesting. I was recently in a class and found myself annoyed when others were getting credit for shooting a shot that I set up (ya, no ego there) so some time on your own is nice.
04-09-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Don, it sucks when others get credit or even copy shoots that you setup.

Gooshin, YES I have been back since the 70's. Plenty of times - meaning every visit to Toronto. Of course Kennsington has changed, nothing in Toronto with its migrant population ever remains the same but, unless you were there in the 70s and 80s you can't make the statement you have.

Don, the point I was trying to make was, KMarket is full of people and things alive. It is vibrant and full of movement. Shops with different languages, representing different ethinicty which has been the backbone of KMarket. The streets are chock-full of people doing so many many different things.

Here's an interesting link for historical background: Kensington Alive -home
04-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
JC, I see where you are coming from. Perhaps I need to get over my hesitancy of taking shots with people in them and see if that gives me more of the Kensington feel. Thanks again for you comments, it's nice to be challenged.
04-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I love the 2nd and 3rd shots the best! The pattern and lighting were done to the perfection. An artistic series!