Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pasties
Posted By: Lilly, 04-07-2008, 12:04 PM

a bit of street photography a few days ago, national pastime here:
Sigam 10-20mm

Please add your pasties pics I know for sure they sell them in Bute, Montana!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 2,826
04-09-2008, 02:35 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Good stuff Lilly We have a Cornish pasty shop here in Keswick which I may have to pay a visit to after work after seeing your pic. I dont have any pasty pics im afraid but a do have a pic of a half eaten sandwich!

Not quite as tasty

04-09-2008, 02:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, those pasties (parstees: pronunciation) look brilliant.Cornish pasties were the traditional origin weren't they? Hard to find a real traditional pastie these days. I love them more than the meat pie (with sauce of course) and in Aus that is really saying something.
Well done!
04-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Soundguy Quote
Pasties (pronounced past (short a) tees, are a regional offering in the Upper peninsula of Michigan and the mining country of Northern Minnesota. Good ones are relatively easy to find in those areas. The culture migrated from Europe with immigrant miners. For more info, you can visit an exciting website: Welcome to Pasty Central. It will give you a taste of that part of America that few know.
The pasties in the UP (Upper Peninsula) were brought over by the Finnish immigrants that came to work the copper mines. I enjoyed many in my 4 years going to college up there. Our cook was Finnish and made them once a week.

Tim
04-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Yum! A real Cornish pastie, that would have to be good.

We have them in Australia, but its hard to find a good one.

South Australians make the best, probably because a lot of Cornish miners worked in the Mid North towns on Moonta, Burra etc and the recipes and technique have been handed down.

I found a good one in a local bakery here and made comment about finding a 'real' pastie, the lady behind the counter smiled and said she and baker husband were from South Australia.
You are quite correct! We went to Moonta SA a few years ago and they do make excellent pasties there, here is my other half about to tuck in on one, perhaps they are the same family!
BTW everyone LOL
more than one pasty=pasties
one pasty singular=pasty

We even have a range of weird and wonderful pasty eating postcards in West Cornwall!

Attached Images