Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
for regken - arctic smoke
Posted By: foxglove, 01-20-2007, 02:55 PM

I'm such a wuss - I knew I could get a far better picture from water level, and with the sun further behind me, but it was about -22C, with a windchill around -35C, and I was too busy (well, that's my lame excuse) to drive down to the end of the road and wade through the snow, so I stood in the doorway of the back porch and fired off a few shots. Next time I won't be so lazy, this doesn't really capture how much mist was rising off the water.

The sun was quite strong from the right, so it was hard to catch the arctic smoke without blowing out the sky. I don't recall doing much PP - I tried to do something to bring up the mist, but gave up, so this is probably just cropped, converted, resized and sharpened. Pathetic - less than a week and I can't remember what I did!

Julie
Views: 1,164
01-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess next time you will need to put on your 3 snowsuits and mitts, grab your extra battery to replace the frozen one in your camera and head down to the water because the artic smoke does not come off as well against itself and the background but would have been better shot from below, especially if you could get it against the darker trees across the water.
01-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I know what you mean. When I drive down to the ocean and see the smoke coming off the water I start shivering before I even leave the car. We should both vow to be stronger the next time.
Regards,
01-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
the artic smoke does not come off as well against itself and the background but would have been better shot from below, especially if you could get it against the darker trees across the water.
Exactly - I was hoping it might show up against the hills, particularly where it was rising so high, but no dice. Unfortunately the nearest spot where I could get down by the water involves a hike along an unplowed road, and I really didn't fancy schlepping around on snowshoes in a -35C windchill. And I really was busy! But now that I look at the pictures I took, I think it would've been worth the hassle and it wouldn't have kept me from my work for more than an hour or so. Live and learn... or not!

Julie