Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
HDR twist
Posted By: forestG, 04-08-2008, 04:54 AM

shot in Ballarat, Vic.
K10, 10-17. Six or so exp
CA's are pretty bad to start with in the contrast areas and HDR emphasizes them, but with a bit of this and that it came up ok-kinda gothic

Attached Images

Views: 3,900
04-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
or maybe this
Attached Images

04-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice - I like the arch in both. The sky in #1 looks great , but to me it looks 'processed' taking away from the picture although I think I still like the colors and feel of #1 better than #2. Good job you have given me some new ideas
04-08-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've come back to this 3 times already without a comment. maybe a bit to processed looking as Dave says. Maybe a bit too much contrast. But I really would like to see the image de-fished. The curve on the left is a bit too much I think.

I really like the look of the second version. The crop helps the curve a lot and I like the old look to the PP work. My favourite of the 2 by far.

Good work and these really grab the attention though.

04-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Can you crop the first one the same as the second? I really think the first one looks wild but I really like the crop of the second.
04-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeah i think theres two types of pp work the v subtle and the at the top not quite over but right up there.
these fits the later and its not for everyone-i'm not sure if i like it either- i sort of pp'd the nuts off it to hide the CA's, and perhaps, in the process of wanting to go as far away from the viewers thoughts of CA's as possible, going too far

attached is the straight up exp and then the hdr strange how the cloudes wnt darkish

and a crop of the colour one
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   

Last edited by forestG; 04-08-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: pics
04-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
Inactive Account

WOW, what a shot. I agree that if your going to process a pic then why not take it to the maximum, great shot I really like it

04-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Like your crop, but sky adds so much. This is the perfect picture to post around Halloween time. Very dramatic. Normally, I don't care much for HDR, but it works here. Impressive. How does it look defished? As dramatic?

After looking at the color version, the duotone doesn't move the emotions very much.
04-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think the crop of the color one looks great. Very nice.
04-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I quite like this and prefer the colour crop as others do. But I think the sky is too much... making it look more fake than photo. I know with HDR it's a fine line.
04-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I like the color crop also !

Yes, the sky looks "strange", but to me that's appealing. It's a surreal type of image I would expect to find as a still in a dark superhero movie
04-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice HDR... though I agree with Rparmar.... more fake looking than real, especially in 1.
However, it seems that more and more of this type of image is comming to the fore.
I dont mind HDR and dabble a bit with it myself. However, some are taking it too far, where is real photography, what you click is waht you get , to some extent.

Not having a go at these pictures, just my 'old fashioned' mind having a bvit of a rave.
(Cool it! Cool it!)

Nicely done. Love Ballarat, travelled there quite a bit, daughter and family lived in Bendigo, now at Warrnambool. A great area.
04-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have always had mixed feelings about HDR pictures, mostly they look too unreal to me, sometimes they don't look HDR at all, but make the picture look great, Those rearer times I usually like HDR, because they add the documentary value.

BUT it seems that HDR can in capable hands also add to the artistic value of the picture, and then it belongs to the nature of the picture to look "unreal", i.e it comes part of the expression - like expressionist paintings of Gauguin.

In this case - somehow - the curviness alone forces me to look this picture not in naturalistic but expressionistic way, and so the dark sky just feels dramatic to me, these colours are not "HDR-like" in a vulgar sense, but dramaticly expressive!

Nice work!

EDIT: See a good example of realistic use of HDR at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/215020-post9.html
04-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Oh wow. I really like the first shot. Love the drama in the image.
04-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

HDR seems to be used in two ways. The first is to enhance the natural light present to get around limitations in the dynamic range captured by the camera. This can vary in amount used, but tends to be subtle, an attempt to attain what the eye saw in the first place.

The second usage is for an over-the-top graphic novel style with very enhanced contrast and colour saturation.

I don't mind either, actually, not being much of a traditionalist in aesthetics (or anything else). But I find the second mode is getting rather boring after seeing several hundred shots that take it to the limit. The problem for me is that they all end up looking rather too similar, which detracts from the uniqueness of the photographic location and the photographer's perspective.

I don't think that's a big problem in this example. And just to prove I'm not anti-HDR, here's an extreme job I did because the building called for it, IMO.