Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
More Snowy Owl photos
Lens: Tamron 90 macro, Pentax 1.7x TC Camera: K-5 Photo Location: St. Catharines, Ontario ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: tessfully, 12-28-2013, 03:18 PM

I like to leave the bird photos up to Norman as he is so good at it, but as his sidekick to this adventure I decided to give my Tamron 90 f/2.8 combined with the 1.7x converter a chance to capture a few Owl photos. I felt kind of silly standing among these humungous lenses, but my photos are decent enough to share. This experience has convinced me I need (want) a telephoto lens like the 200 f/2.8 or 300 f/4.

For some reason my sky is very vibrant compared to Norman's even though I turned the vibrancy and saturation down during post processing.

No face, but cool feet!

and a few variations on the above photos here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107645155750397510807/albums/596256531899...COC-7dG346SrKQ

Last edited by tessfully; 12-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Views: 2,257
12-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautiful captures Tess, I bet Norm is a bit jealous after viewing these. They are generally nocturnal so the bird against a bright blue sky is a very special sight.
12-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots Tess. I can totally understand why you need (want) a telephoto lens. You take such wonderful images, I can't wait to see what you do with one when you do get one.
12-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, you got it. I did an Audubon Christmas Count today, and in an area where there was a Snowy in the last weeks. I hope to see one, but not today. These are great captures, great to see. Not often you see the shots like 1 and 3. Very special.

12-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Superb! Just beautiful! Hard to believe you got those with a 90mm!
BTW- Otis said he knows where you can get some long glass.......everyone has to sleep sometime!

Regards!
12-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

Beautiful job!!!
12-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An amazing creature! Wonderful images, Tess, and Norm's, too!

12-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
wow, those are fantastic, for 90mm plus TC!

love those birds
12-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
For some reason my sky is very vibrant
Hi

I noticed this when I use the 1.7x converter, (I assume yours is the Pentax also). I have a sneaky suspicion it may be the converter.
Nice pictures by the way.

Happy new year
Greetings
12-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the nice comments I hope everyone has had a great holiday season!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
beautiful captures Tess, I bet Norm is a bit jealous after viewing these. They are generally nocturnal so the bird against a bright blue sky is a very special sight.
Oh thank you Bob!

QuoteOriginally posted by civano Quote
Beautiful shots Tess. I can totally understand why you need (want) a telephoto lens. You take such wonderful images, I can't wait to see what you do with one when you do get one.
Thank you civano...I think it is time to take the leap although I am worried about handling a heavy lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Wow, you got it. I did an Audubon Christmas Count today, and in an area where there was a Snowy in the last weeks. I hope to see one, but not today. These are great captures, great to see. Not often you see the shots like 1 and 3. Very special.
I hope you see one Jacquot, they are magnificent. Apparently the markings suggest these are juveniles. I was content for half the time there just watching the bird...but of course the camera bug got hold of my senses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
BTW- Otis said he knows where you can get some long glass.......everyone has to sleep sometime!

Regards!

I know Rupert. I don't have much luck with the 60 - 250 and I am not good at manual focussing. I think I need my very own bit of long glass

QuoteOriginally posted by bklord Quote
Beautiful job!!!
Thank you bklord!

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
An amazing creature! Wonderful images, Tess, and Norm's, too!
Thank you Julie... it was wonderful to experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
wow, those are fantastic, for 90mm plus TC!

love those birds
Thanks calculator, I wish we lived closer. I think I'd spend many hours observing and photographing if I could.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I noticed this when I use the 1.7x converter, (I assume yours is the Pentax also). I have a sneaky suspicion it may be the converter.
Nice pictures by the way.

Happy new year
Greetings
ah! You might be right. I will look at other photos I have taken with that combination. I also notice the micro-contrast is very sharp and well defined with the Tamron, and still with the converter added. It is an amazing set up... great for macros. Thank you for commenting. Happy New Year to you too!!!
12-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots
12-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Stunning images Tess. What a beautiful bird. I wish you best of luck on stealing, er I mean acquiring, a longer lens.
12-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tess, these are absolutely wonderful images, thanks for showing us. If you get longer glass go for something around 300 mm.
12-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Stunning images Tess. What a beautiful bird. I wish you best of luck on stealing, er I mean acquiring, a longer lens.
OK, you two, I'm sitting right here ya know.
12-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Tess, these shots are vibrant and then some! How did you capture that Texas Sky way up there?

Jer