Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
more cold scenery
Posted By: foxglove, 01-20-2007, 03:43 PM

It's been such a mild winter so far, it's a shock when it gets properly cold. Here's the view from our yard just before sunrise after the first snowfall of the winter.

I think this was taken with the Zenitar, judging by the warped pole on the far right! Must learn to write that stuff down...

Julie
Views: 1,698
01-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still no snow here in Western Mass. USA. Nice shot maybe crop some off the bottom so the horizon is not so dead center.
01-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice colour in the sky. Peaceful, isn't it?

The rain is pouring here. At least my fruit trees all get to drink a bit of water...

In your image, maybe a few quotes from Psalm would make the image even more interesting? Ignore this if you are not a Christian...
01-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #4

Psalm 8?

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

The rain is pouring here. At least my fruit trees all get to drink a bit of water...

In your image, maybe a few quotes from Psalm would make the image even more interesting? Ignore this if you are not a Christian...
Great idea - I took a look at a favorite - Psalm 8
When I consider the work of Thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained;
What is man that Thou dost take thought of him? And the son of man, that Thou dost care for him?
Yet Thou hast made him a little lower than God, and dost crown him with glory and majesty!
Thou dost make him to rule over the works of thy hands; Thou hast put all things under his feet,
All sheep and oxen, and also the birds of the field.
The birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea, whatever passes through the paths of the seas.

It's pretty amazing this creation we live in - these verses say God made it and put us in control of it. Pretty cool huh?

Ed

01-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Foxglove, I like the colours in this photo. So peaceful. Thanks.
01-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Roentarre and Photodad - I like the suggestions. It completed my Sunday reflections.
01-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #7

Sometimes we get little bits of inspiration from some odd places. Glad we could share. Have a great week.

Ed

01-22-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Still no snow here in Western Mass. USA. Nice shot maybe crop some off the bottom so the horizon is not so dead center.
Thanks - I was thinking I could lost some of the foreground, too. I'll try it!

Julie
01-22-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

Thank-you. I was pleased with how well the colours came out. It was cold, very still, and very peaceful. This is one that worked.

My fruit trees are getting very confused - since I took this photo it has warmed up, cooled waaaay off again, snowed, rained, sleeted... wretched weather, I'll be surprised if they aren't damaged, poor things.

Putting appropriate words on the image is an interesting idea, whether they're from a psalm or something else, for the non-religious. I generally prefer to let an image speak for itself, unless some words suggests themselves on me, and even then I leave them as accompaniment, rather than part of the image. For instance, this one, taken with my Oly Stylus:

Below it in pbase I have this little quote:

Leaning out over
The dreadful precipice
One contemptuous tree.
-W H Auden

I think it's because I like the personal connection you can make with an image - it evokes something different for everyone, and I don't want to distract from anyone's interpretation by splashing mine all over it. It's enough that I colour their view with a title and/or other words. But to each his own, that's what makes the world interesting, isn't it?

I'm glad my picture inspired such a suggestion. Thanks!

Julie
01-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Foxglove, I like the colours in this photo. So peaceful. Thanks.
QuoteOriginally posted by photodad Quote
Sometimes we get little bits of inspiration from some odd places. Glad we could share. Have a great week.
I'm glad you both found peace and inspiration from this image. I think I'll crop it as suggested and have it printed. I wasn't sure if it really captured the feel, or if I liked it because I remember how serene a morning it was, but it seems like maybe if I have it on my wall I'll get more "Ah, that's soothing" than "Why'd you take that?"

Julie
01-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #11

Julie,
I like the idea that our images, when they are where we can see them, can help us regain balance and some peace. Sometimes in life there is not enough of either. Our photos can bring back extremely strong memories and recollections which is one of the magical things about them.

Thanks for sharing these

Ed
01-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

There is so much inspiration that comes from just taking photographs and it is good to let each one arrive at their own relationship to the capture. We have seen that so much in this forum, some like, some don't like, some would do it different.

On the other hand not everything comes through in a photo so words can add to the visuals. Sometimes the words are there when the photo was taken and must accompany the presentation. As shown here, some like and some don't.

Thanks Ed for the Psalm. David could sure write, couldn't he (of course he too was inspired and didn't even have or need a camera)?

I really liked the 'One contemptuous tree' too.
01-23-2007, 12:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, the colours are so....peaceful. Very nice.