Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
"Good Old Rocky Top"
Lens: DA 21, DA 35, FA 50, DA 70 Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 12-29-2013, 05:17 PM

Will be leading a guided hike up to Rocky Top on Thunderhead Mt in the Smokies next month, so went there last week to check trail conditions. It's about a 14 mile hike with plenty of climbing - from Cades Cove picnic area to near the top of Thunderhead.

Hike begins on the Anthony Creek Trail. It's a fine rocky trail that climbs rather quickly, with many fine views of Anthony Creek.

Anthony Creek is a typical Smokies stream - plenty of mossy riffles and splashes, plenty of big boulders carried and rounded by the powerful flow.

There are even a few small waterfalls along Anthony Creek.

Next trail is Bote Mountain Trail. It's an old road, once used to drive cattle to the high country pasturage of Spence Field. Some fascinating geology along the way, and also some dropping temperatures!

Bote Mt Trail ends at the Appalachian Trail. From here, we hike through fields and young woodlands, along the crest of the mts.

Trail gets steeper as we approach Thunderhead. Steep trail is good encouragement to slow down and notice the details, like these diverse lichens and fungi.

And this Polypody fern. Also called "resurrection fern," because of its unique method of surviving drought. Fronds will curl up and appear dead when dry, but quickly open and flourish when rains return.

There are actually two rocky outcroppings on Thunderhead that might be called Rocky Top. Each offers excellent views of the the surrounding mountains. Here is the first Rocky Top.

And some of the views from this spot. Sure wish it had been a sunnier day...

There's a carved rock at the second Rocky Top - at least two of the cow herders left their names behind.

And here are some views from Rocky Top #2.

Hike back down was quick and uneventful, full of good memories of the high country. Hope you enjoyed the hike, and will share your comments & critique!

Views: 2,020
12-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One helluva lot of eye candy in these shots.....................................................very well executed shots.
12-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Some beautiful hiking country. Nice shots.
12-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A great set--the next-to-last is my favorite, I think...do the red twigs belong to maple or sarvis?

Last edited by CreationBear; 12-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.
12-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh would I like to hike this, lovely! Thank you. This is a great narrative, visual and written.
12-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always enjoy our time in the Smokies. Thanks for sharing these wonderful series
12-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You have scouted out some fine spots , enjoyed the virtual hike very much.

12-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great set--thanks!
12-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thank you Ranger for taking us along with you. The changing light produced some great photos and thank you for all the information you always provide, I always learn something viewing your threads.
12-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #10

The are spectacular photos, thank you for sharing them!
12-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eaglem - So glad you enjoyed these!

OnTheWeb - Indeed a great place for many fine, fun hikes...

CreationBear - So sorry that I did not pay close attention to the species of shrubs - from the photos, it looks like Red Maple, but I'm not sure. Will check more carefully when I'm back up there next month...

Jacquot - Thanks for your kind words. If you'd really like to hike this, I'll be leading this hike for Wilderness Wildlife Week on January 28th!

Patrick - We are certainly blessed to have such fine wild places here in Tennessee!

Dave - Thanks so much - glad you liked the hike!

John - And thanks for taking time to comment!

Bob - Thanks as always for your very kind words.

Kenntak - You are too kind!
12-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Very nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

All I can say is beautiful.
12-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a great set and it looks like a wonderful hiking opportunity! Thanks!
12-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The view from Rocky Top is awesome.... your photos of this view are stunning, especially the first one...Audubon material. Anthony Creek is gorgeous too... nice water shots Just an excellent series altogether. Wish I could go on this hike!
01-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
We are certainly blessed to have such fine wild places here in Tennessee!
I agree