Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New at the bird feeder.
Lens: DA* 6-250 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: normhead, 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM

We saw one of these a couple years ago, and then we didn't see any, until this morning one turned up during coffee time. He is twice the size of our resident red squirrels, plump and healthy looking. I'm betting the owls and hawks will love seeing this one around.

Views: 1,084
12-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Definitely not "Winter" color! Great shot!
12-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canis Quote
Definitely not "Winter" color! Great shot!
Yes, he does stand out in the snow a little bit.
12-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
very nice!!!

12-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
jac
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
very nice!!!
Apparently before we humans started chopping down the forests, this variation of the grey squirrel was predominant. Possibly the colouration allowed for more heat absorption in the winter months.
Nice shot Norm.
12-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard of black squirrels, but this is - to the best of my recollection - ever seen a picture of one. Nice job - plenty of detail in the squirrel's fur is visible despite the contrasting, relatively-light background.

Jer
12-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've heard of black squirrels, but this is - to the best of my recollection - ever seen a picture of one. Nice job - plenty of detail in the squirrel's fur is visible despite the contrasting, relatively-light background.

Jer
When I lived in Toronto, especially in the High Park area, there were as many blacks as greys. "Momma squirrel" who lived in our back yard for a year and a half ( and who chewed her way through our back door screen, and learned to open the pickle jars we used to store peanuts in) had one black and one grey in one of her litters.

Up north where we are now, it's all reds and flying squirrels.

12-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I lived in East Lansing, most of the squirrels were black. I've never seen one in Florida. Handsome image!
12-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey, I've been to East Lansing... for an overnight. I don't remember seeing squirrels there though.
12-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #10

Love the image!

I live just north of Grand Rapids in Rockford and occasionally I see them here. In fact, after I first bought the house I live in now, there was a black one that used to always be in my backyard. Unfortunately a short time after moving in, I think I found him on a road not to far from my house flattened since he disappeared about the same time. I still see them on occasion but not as many as the orange brown fox squirrels around here.
12-31-2013, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe it's a black ops squirrel from Otis's army! Awesome photo!
12-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
He is twice the size of our resident red squirrels, plump and healthy looking.
I'll bet a 16GB card that squirrel recently awoke to find his cozy "stored snowmobile home" on Bloor West banging around an awful lot. When the mayhem stopped, he was in Whitney and had to get out fast!

Black Ops for sure...
12-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Maybe it's a black ops squirrel from Otis's army! Awesome photo!
We have wolves , foxes, weasels, owls and hawks. it doesn't matter who's army he's in, sooner or later he's probably lunch.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'll bet a 16GB card that squirrel recently awoke to find his cozy "stored snowmobile home" on Bloor West banging around an awful lot. When the mayhem stopped, he was in Whitney and had to get out fast!

Black Ops for sure...
I often wonder how many critters we get coming up on trucks from the south. He could easily be one. I'm pretty sure the possums we see here from time to time aren't surviving the winters up here.
01-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Really like that one Norm! Otis did too! We don't have any black or white squirrels here, and it is a delight to see one! Otis says it doesn't matter if they are green or purple, all squirrels are handsome.......I never argue with Otis!
That shot would make a fine card front.....do you ever use your shots for card fronts?
Regards!
01-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I often wonder how many critters we get coming up on trucks from the south. He could easily be one. I'm pretty sure the possums we see here from time to time aren't surviving the winters up here.
Unless they find a garage or basement with an opening. Their expansion into Canada is a relatively recent thing.