Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Red Kites
Lens: Pentax DA*300mm Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Ballymack Farm, Dumfries, Scotland Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Blythman, 01-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Went to a Red Kite feeding station at Ballymack Hill Farm near Dumfries in Scotland. Here are a sample of my pics, which I thought I'd share

Taken with the K3 and Pentax DA*300

1/2000 f4 ISO 400



1/1600 f4 ISO 1000



1/1600 f4 ISO 1000


Views: 947
01-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,720
Very detailed sharp shots with good lighting on the subject. Well executed series.
01-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,131
Well done, good sharp shots.

We're lucky here, these birds were reintroduced onto the Black Isle a while back, so most days you can look up and see the distinctive V tailed silhouette.
01-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Those are great shots!

01-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,884
Wow...very sharp and of a BIF.
01-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member
mole's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,432
Excellent sharpness, lighting and captures of the action! Can you tell us more about this feeding station? Are they captive birds, or is this a method of assisting a rare bird population?
01-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian
johnyates's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,250
Great shots! The last one is especially amazing.
01-03-2014, 01:42 AM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Blyth, Northumberland
Posts: 64
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very detailed sharp shots with good lighting on the subject. Well executed series.
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Well done, good sharp shots.

We're lucky here, these birds were reintroduced onto the Black Isle a while back, so most days you can look up and see the distinctive V tailed silhouette.
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Those are great shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Wow...very sharp and of a BIF.
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Excellent sharpness, lighting and captures of the action! Can you tell us more about this feeding station? Are they captive birds, or is this a method of assisting a rare bird population?
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Great shots! The last one is especially amazing.
Thanks for the feedback. These are fabulous birds.

Mole, these birds were persecuted to almost extinction in the UK. Then 10-15 years ago a number of re-introduction programs took place including beside where I live in NE England. Unfortunately, where I live persecution still takes place, usually by poisoned bait on grouse moors used by the shooting fraternity. I therefore travelled approx 125 mile to Dumfries where another re-introduction took place. Here, a farmer feeds the Kites each day at 2pm.

I arrived at about 1pm, and there were already about 15 kites flying overhead, this increased over the next hour until there were about 100 present by the time a couple of buckets of feed were thrown out for them. There was no mad dash for the food, it seemed more an opportunity for social interaction than a feeding frenzy

01-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,572
A wonderful series, thanks for sharing these shots, Alan!
01-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member
tessfully's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S. Algonquin, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,854
Oh wow what a treat! Lovely shots... just excellent!
01-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Great BIF shots - all very sharp.
01-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member
mole's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tennessee
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,432
QuoteOriginally posted by Blythman Quote
Mole, these birds were persecuted to almost extinction in the UK. Then 10-15 years ago a number of re-introduction programs took place including beside where I live in NE England. Unfortunately, where I live persecution still takes place, usually by poisoned bait on grouse moors used by the shooting fraternity. I therefore travelled approx 125 mile to Dumfries where another re-introduction took place. Here, a farmer feeds the Kites each day at 2pm.

I arrived at about 1pm, and there were already about 15 kites flying overhead, this increased over the next hour until there were about 100 present by the time a couple of buckets of feed were thrown out for them. There was no mad dash for the food, it seemed more an opportunity for social interaction than a feeding frenzy
Thanks for the fascinating explanation!
01-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member
OnTheWeb's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 791
Great series... those are all keepers.
01-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, CA
Posts: 1,102
Lovely series. Great work. Thanks for sharing these lovely birds.
01-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Heinrich Lohmann's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Airdrie, Alberta Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,141
Thanks for showing us these wonderful images.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, f4, flickr, iso, kite, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People Kites - Pt 2 SpecialK Post Your Photos! 5 11-14-2013 08:17 PM
People Kites - Pt 1 SpecialK Post Your Photos! 2 10-28-2013 05:10 PM
Sports Kites SpecialK Post Your Photos! 5 10-18-2012 05:32 PM
Kites! (finally) NaClH2O Post Your Photos! 16 06-11-2008 05:40 AM
Kites at the Beach Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 2 07-19-2007 08:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top