Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Fort Lauderdale - The Everglades
Posted By: daacon, 01-03-2014, 06:48 AM

We docked at Fort Lauderdale around 07:00 am and were off the boat by 08:15. It's a well oiled machine I'll give them that. We had decided beforehand to spend and extra day in Fort Lauderdale. My brotherin-law and I headed out for a tour of the everglades while the women ...well found some huge shopping mall

click on image twice for larger view

#1 - The ride is over coming into Port for disembarkment

#2 - The air boats very loud and they can really motor !

#3 - Pretty huge area

#4 - Wild Alligator - our guide said we may not see any as they generally pop above the water to absorb the sun and it was a pretty overcast day but we got lucky !

#5 - He was about a 9 footer

#6 - BW version they move so slow and are experts at conserving energy

#7 - We spotted anothe one but did not get anywhere near as close

#8 - Cruising for fish and turtles their stable diet and I was unaware they can stay underwater for over 24 hours.

#9 - Here's an air boat that broke down - our guide mentioned there is no Everglades AMA .

Last edited by daacon; 01-03-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Views: 1,528
01-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You absolutely MUST visit Everglades National Park, Dave. During dry season, though, otherwise the 'skeeters are intolerable.

Gators galore -- during dry season they congregate in the places where there's water ("gator holes", which they dig), so at places like the Royal Palm ranger station not far from the main entrance to the park, there are so many alligators you won't believe it. Lots and lots of birds, too.

01-05-2014, 04:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
What a nice series Dave, that was a good day to end the cruise on.
Thansk Heinrich it was a great day indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
You absolutely MUST visit Everglades National Park, Dave. During dry season, though, otherwise the 'skeeters are intolerable.
Gators galore -- during dry season they congregate in the places where there's water ("gator holes", which they dig), so at places like the Royal Palm ranger station not far from the main entrance to the park, there are so many alligators you won't believe it. Lots and lots of birds, too.
Thanks Julie I would love to. Really like to get back to that area for more than a day. When is dry season ? And yes the 'skeeters can get wicked up here in the summer as well.
01-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dry season is typically winter/spring (November -- early May), although so far this year we've had above-normal rainfall. Driest months are usually March and April, into early May. Wet season usually starts (rather abruptly) in late May. During dry season, the water level in the 'glades drops, and the wildlife congregates in the areas where there's more permanent water.

I am not a birder so I can't say with any certainty what the seasonal movements are for a lot of migratory birds here, but certainly there are many that spend the winter here.