Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Getting Reds Right....
Lens: Bigma 50-500 Camera: K5 Original Photo Location: Woods of Otis -Texas ISO: 1000 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Rupert, 01-04-2014, 09:11 AM

With Otis off in the Bahamas searching for the "culprit" that stole your donations to the little starving orphan squirrels, I am forced to shoot more birdies and fewer handsome squirrels. Hopefully he will return soon, but my bet is he will be dead broke with a story of how the culprit "got away" and took all the cash with him.

Reds.....Always a difficult color. I've tried everything imaginable to get accurate reds and not have them blow out or run like melting ice cream. Seems the best bet is to underexpose, use the Raw and push up just enough to get the detail back. It works most of the time, but is still dependent on the ambient light as to how accurate the color turns out.

If you are on a color correct monitor, as I am, then this will show up as being as close as it comes to this birds true color. The shot itself is not perfect, but considering it is a large crop and shot at a distance of about 50 feet, it works for me!

I kinda like him with a red background too...

Regards! Otis said to tell you guys hello from the Bahamas.He is undercover down on the beach sipping little umbrella drinks and paying close attention to the topless girls that might be trying to distract from possibly being the culprit that stole your donations. Like he said..."It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!"
Views: 1,019
01-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you got some beautiful true color there Rupert, nice shootin' buddy. Do you still have your studio open in town?
01-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

They look great on my end.
01-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Beautiful!

01-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I think you got some beautiful true color there Rupert, nice shootin' buddy. Do you still have your studio open in town?
Thanks Bob.....No I closed it in September, luckily just before I broke my foot. I closed it to catch up on work at home so we could go traveling in the little TT....but then had that fall......life is full of surprises!

QuoteOriginally posted by OnTheWeb Quote
They look great on my end.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Beautiful!
Thank you! How you doing Bigted? Improving I hope!

This may be my best Cardinal shot of all, color is right in this one too. They are so difficult to shoot, not only are they red, they come in all shades of red, which makes it even harder to get the right color.

Best Regards!
BTW- Any of you that donated to Otis and are now getting mail saying he is being held for ransom on a Pirate ship in the Caribbean and will be walking the plank and fed to the sharks unless he raises $5K by midnight, just delete it. He used that scam last year too, the least he can do is come up with a new scam.
01-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, those look great Rupert, thanks for the tutorial advice. I love red, and have a really difficult time getting it on any digital camera. I will definitely try this. Thanks!
01-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Rupert, I think that is a perfect rendition of a male Cardinal. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!

01-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Wow, those look great Rupert, thanks for the tutorial advice. I love red, and have a really difficult time getting it on any digital camera. I will definitely try this. Thanks!
Thanks Jac! Maybe it will help you, all cameras seem to have problems with reds, this is the only real solution I have found, and it works most of the time. It requires some masking and other processing, but you can preserve details and not blow out the reds.

Tess, thanks! My shots are nothing like the fine IQ you and Norm are getting, but for an old squirrel shooter, I take what I can get!

If I could get closer the detail would be better, but Otis has a damn guard squirrel posted at every tree around the perimeter of the Woods of Otis. They are more dangerous than a hungry leopard and twice as fast. Would you chance it?

Regards!
01-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Rupert, the colours come up true on my calibrated monitor.
01-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a true cardinal to me (calibrated monitor). I love their fantastic redness, but they're a mite scarce around my place. I get to see them when I visit back east.
01-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great images.
01-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice set of reds. they look good here too. I see Otis has a security guard keeping an eye on you.
01-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots Rupert, color is spot on on my(calibrated) monitor. I like the original background better. BTW, I ignored Otis's demands.
01-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, these look spectacular to me, Rupert. In fact, I'd say you've got RED down pat.

Jer