Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
36 Ford truck
Lens: macro f4 100mm Pentax Camera: k-4 ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: Michael Piziak, 01-06-2014, 10:42 AM

36 Ford pickup truck. Which looks more realistic - colore or b&w ?

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-11-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Views: 732
01-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know. Either one of them don't look too bad. The only issues that I would have with the black and white image (and this is just my opinion) is that the after you have converted them into black and white, the red body of the truck and the black fenders look too close together. I would try to lighten the grayscale tone of the truck body in order to provide a little bit more tonal separation between the black fenders and the red body.
01-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Todd's got a good point. Most software will allow you to select levels on a per-color basis. I hope you don't mind, but I took your color version made a new B&W version where the red is lighter, to set it apart from the black fenders.

I processed it in Lightroom, and turned the "clarity" slider down to hide some of the hard-edge details that give away the fact that it's a toy, and to give it a more old-timey feel. Again, I hope you don't mind me messing with your picture.

I would also turn the front wheels in the opposite direction to hide some of the plastic bits beneath. I've always thought automotive shots look better with the side of the wheel angled towards the camera, rather than the tire tread, but that's just my opinion.
Attached Images

01-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a nice replica I do like Ian's take it on a bit better however all three of them do look like toys that 's a tough one to make real.

01-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Todd's got a good point. Most software will allow you to select levels on a per-color basis. I hope you don't mind, but I took your color version made a new B&W version where the red is lighter, to set it apart from the black fenders.

I processed it in Lightroom, and turned the "clarity" slider down to hide some of the hard-edge details that give away the fact that it's a toy, and to give it a more old-timey feel. Again, I hope you don't mind me messing with your picture.

I would also turn the front wheels in the opposite direction to hide some of the plastic bits beneath. I've always thought automotive shots look better with the side of the wheel angled towards the camera, rather than the tire tread, but that's just my opinion.
I don't mind at all. Looks good! I did something similar in Gimp. See mine at http://www.flickr.com/photos/piziak/

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-06-2014 at 06:49 PM.
01-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It's a nice replica I do like Ian's take it on a bit better however all three of them do look like toys that 's a tough one to make real.
Yep, there just toys. (My Dad's toys). They're fun to photograph though.