Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
Moore Creek Falls
Lens: 18-55mm WR Camera: K5 Photo Location: Kitimat, BC 
Posted By: shadowsonoureyes, 01-08-2014, 04:55 PM

I took a little break from work today and made the short hike in to the base of Moore Creek Falls south of Kitimat, BC. After the falls, Moore Creek crosses under an industrial road and then passes through one of BC's largest active construction sites. Rio-Tinto Alcan is currently working to upgrade/modernize their aluminum smelter and it's a huge task.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 975
01-08-2014, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice image but it looks cold
01-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Nice image but it looks cold
Just a little skiff of snow. Kitimat is coastal so it's a fairly moderate climate. Today it was about 1 degree Celsius.

Thanks for taking a look Heinrich.
01-09-2014, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one, Tyler. We are supposed to go above zero tomorrow here in PG. Wish it would just stay around -10C all winter. And yeah, Kitimat is insane now with the smelter upgrade.

Jack

01-09-2014, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I love these candy floss waterfall type of shots, well seen and taken.
01-09-2014, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Beautiful , 1 degree now that's a heat wave !
01-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Beautiful , 1 degree now that's a heat wave !
I guess it's been pretty cold in parts of Canada...the northwest has been maintaining a steady temp around 0 (+/- 5 as a big swing) most of the winter.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I love these candy floss waterfall type of shots, well seen and taken.
Thanks for taking a look. I like taking these photos. I used a polarizer for this one to pull some substrate/rock detail out of the creek bed but due to the low angle of the shot there wasn't much detail to be had in this one.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Nice one, Tyler. We are supposed to go above zero tomorrow here in PG. Wish it would just stay around -10C all winter. And yeah, Kitimat is insane now with the smelter upgrade.

Jack
Thanks for taking a look Jack. Maybe some above zero temperatures will help free up the ice that's rutted up your roads in PG. Probably make a sloppy mess in the process....

01-09-2014, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
Awesome! I can't wait to get over to the western part of NC and find some waterfalls to shoot. Just out of curiosity what were your exposure settings at and are you using a tripod?
01-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by V.rider Quote
Awesome! I can't wait to get over to the western part of NC and find some waterfalls to shoot. Just out of curiosity what were your exposure settings at and are you using a tripod?
This image is actually a blend of three different exposures so the EXIF data isn't accurate. I think the posted EXIF is taken from the "background" image of the blend layer stack which was the best exposure of the three. Using this method I was able to pull some detail from shadow areas and reduce the chances of blowing out the highlights in the water and snow. I like this method better than HDR images because you can maintain a more natural and realistic look which results in a more appealing end result IMO.

Always need a tripod...

Last edited by shadowsonoureyes; 01-09-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: poor poor spelling...