Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Frozen Bays Mountain
Lens: FA 28, DA 15, Tokina 400, etc Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM

Frozen Bays Mt

As for much of the US, we too in East Tennessee recently experienced unusually cold weather. Several mornings with temperatures in the 0-5 degree (fahrenheit) range and several inches of snow in the higher elevations. Lacking a 4-wheel drive vehicle, was unable to get up to the highest places, but did have some time to roam nearby Bays Mountain to enjoy the unusually wintery scenes.

The lake at Bays Mountain was once used for the city water supply. No longer providing drinking water, it's now the "blue gem" at the center of this 3,500 acre city park and nature preserve.

Higher ridges at Bays Mt are ideal locations for large old Chestnut Oak trees.

Several of the park trails follow old roads, where frozen puddles and frost heave made for some interesting patterns.

Most of the rock here is rather pervious sandstone, so there are many small springs and seeps. The springs are fed by deep groundwater, and so were not frozen. But the splashing water sure did freeze quickly in the cold air! Here are one view of ice riming a little spring.

And some splashing spring water "decorating" the Christmas Ferns and moss spore-cases.

Folks here in East Tennessee often call Juncos "snowbirds," because we see them most often in cold snowy weather. Our local populations have a vertical migration - instead of flying north in the spring, they move up to the higher elevations. Then their "southward" migration is back down to the valleys. Here are a few views of one (back at the home park) feasting on grass seeds and soaking up some winter sunshine.

Also back at the home park, was out clearing fallen branches off some of our trails, and stopped to check the poison ivy "crop." Poison Ivy berries are important winter food for many birds. Expected to see several species, but all we saw were Yellow-Rumped Warblers. One individual spent all its time chasing all the other birds away, and barely took time to eat!

Well, we are returning to more normal East Tennessee temperatures, and I hope to have some time to visit the high country soon. Hope you enjoyed these wintry glimpses of the lower elevations, and that you'll share your comments & critique!

Views: 1,622
01-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wonderful varied thread here Ranger, really enjoyed all of the photos, the bird shots were beautifully captured and the puddle patterns very interesting to view..
01-11-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great photos and accounts. I love the ice photos.
01-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The color blue looks a bit over saturated in the first photo's on my monitor but the ice photo's are wonderful! Especially the one with the spring water in the background and the last one.

01-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great series. Love the bird shots; I always feel for the little warblers in the cold, all puffed-up
01-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of beautiful photos in this eclectic series. That first landscape is particularly special. It's been decades since we lived in Tennessee (Nashville), but I still miss the place.

Jer
01-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Excellent pics. I'm still trying to learn how to get good bird pics.

Tony

01-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Another great set--definitely like the chestnut oak pictures (must be "bear central" in the Fall) but the first two frozen puddles are my favorite, especially the monochrome version. As for trees, I'm looking forward to getting back into the old growth this Spring, but "isolating," say, a big tulip poplar strikes me as a difficult technical problem...it might be an occasion to develop my pano skills.
01-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photos. We live within 20 minutes of Bays Mountain. Twenty years ago we took our children there. They were interested in the wildlife which I took photos of with my Pentax ME. You show some gorgeous photographs that I missed.
01-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #10

Very nice pics.
01-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bob - Thanks for your kind & specific comments!

Jacquot - Thanks! I'm just glad that ice is a photogenic, but not too common subject here in East Tennessee!

Fries - Thanks for the feedback - it is indeed very blue - may need to work on that one. But it was a very blue view... Glad you enjoyed the little spring!

Jac - You are so right - those little warblers are saying, "I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy!"

Jer - Thanks so much! Be sure to let me know if you ever come back for a visit...

Tony - I too have a long way to go with the bird photos, but am having a lot of fun working on it!

CreationBear - Surprisingly few bears up on Bays Mountain - but that location (Bays Ridge Trail) is one of the better places to spot them. Hope you'll have some time to practice on the Tulip Poplars over near Ramsey Cascades and Albright Grove.

Billy - I live less than 15 minutes drive from Bays Mountain! It sure does seem that most folks who visit will stay down at the "critter cages" and miss the rest of the park. My children also enjoyed many happy days watching the wildlife, as well as hiking the trails. Have you ever hiked the trail from Laurel Run up into Bays Mountain?

Fjody - Thanks!!