Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

E5 Hayabusa bullet train
Posted By: RobG, 01-14-2014, 05:59 AM

This is the JR East E5 series Hayabusa train which I road from Omiya to Shin-Aomori. Its top speed during the trip was 320 kmh. It is so smooth that when I was sorting out my luggage after boarding, I didn't even know that the train had started moving!

I'll be adding more photos of trains to my thread in the special interest group. I've added photos on Flickr from the next trai in the trip - which went through the seikan tunnel under the sea.

Last edited by RobG; 01-17-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: wrong thumbnail displayed
Views: 2,293
01-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Interesting nose on that train, it reminds me of the bulbous bit of ships at the pointy end, I wonder if this performs the same kind of function with air as they do with water.
HI

Aerodynamics of trains are more complicated then most people would assume and create quite a bit of a different problem from other conveyances such as planes and cars.

While we have seen record speeds in excess of 570km/h it is unlikely we will see these speeds in regular train travel anytime soon.

Trains running at speeds of 500km/h need to be designed aerodynamically underneath as well as above. Without special underbody design at 500km/h + the airflow will suck up the track aggregate and spay it all over the place and the track after a few passes will become unusable. Also a train will never be able to go through a tunnel with these speeds because as it exits the tunnel the air pressure it pushes in front of it will me resulting in a massive boom similar to a Champagne cork popping out of the bottle. Houses nearby will have to have their windows replaced constantly.

The other problem (but it has been solved by a Japanese design) is the power transfer from overhead wires to the train. The contact of the Pantograph and the wire at high speeds creates vibration (like the bow on the violin) which creates arcing and the different pressure of the Pantograph uptake against the wire created by the catenary curve can mean loss of contact. The Japanese have invented a special suspension system to counter this.

It's a photo forum but I thought you might be interested in a bit of trivia.

Greetings

01-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
That explains it!
Also, the E5 is still pretty new. The 700 series do a lot of runs every day over the Tokaido line!

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice shot. Nice train. We have nothing of that...caliber...over here.
Thanks! It does literally look bullet-like, doesn't it? We don't have anything that comes close either - not even to the slowest of the bullet trains.

PS This set on flickr will become my photo diary of the trip. Next up is day 2 - the train trip from Omiya to Hakodate. Something like 1000km in a day, with the 320kmh bullet train and a 42 km tunnel under the sea.

Last edited by RobG; 01-15-2014 at 03:29 AM.
01-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I thought you might be interested in a bit of trivia
Thanks for sharing that and putting it into words I can keep up with.

How on earth do you know all this stuff.
01-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Thanks for sharing that and putting it into words I can keep up with.

How on earth do you know all this stuff.
I acquired all my knowledge from bartenders.

Greetings

01-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice shot. Nice train. We have nothing of that...caliber...over here.
Kyle, do you expect California to get this type of train or just another slow freight train to San Francisco? They sure want to spend a lot of money on the project, I can't ever see it happening.
01-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Kyle, do you expect California to get this type of train or just another slow freight train to San Francisco? They sure want to spend a lot of money on the project, I can't ever see it happening.
I doubt it.
01-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Aerodynamics of trains are more complicated then most people would assume and create quite a bit of a different problem from other conveyances such as planes and cars. While we have seen record speeds in excess of 570km/h it is unlikely we will see these speeds in regular train travel anytime soon. Trains running at speeds of 500km/h need to be designed aerodynamically underneath as well as above. Without special underbody design at 500km/h + the airflow will suck up the track aggregate and spay it all over the place and the track after a few passes will become unusable. Also a train will never be able to go through a tunnel with these speeds because as it exits the tunnel the air pressure it pushes in front of it will me resulting in a massive boom similar to a Champagne cork popping out of the bottle. Houses nearby will have to have their windows replaced constantly.
The Japanese test maglev has got to 581 kmh. No ballast on the track because there's no rails, but it's not yet a production train. The shock of two bullet trains passing at 300 kmh is already significant, as is the shock of entering a tunnel. Interestingly the maglev test track has tunnels. I'm curious how the maglev gets its power but I presume that it must be through the same moving magnets that it floats on, or it actually has batteries in the train.

QuoteQuote:
The other problem (but it has been solved by a Japanese design) is the power transfer from overhead wires to the train. The contact of the Pantograph and the wire at high speeds creates vibration (like the bow on the violin) which creates arcing and the different pressure of the Pantograph uptake against the wire created by the catenary curve can mean loss of contact. The Japanese have invented a special suspension system to counter this. It's a photo forum but I thought you might be interested in a bit of trivia.
Richard Hammond did an excellent program about the shinkansen technology.
. One of the interesting statements was that the bullet train system has moved more than the population of the entire earth at about 200 mph.

01-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #23
Pentaxian

In North America, we've decided rings like this are impossible to do, because, they aren't cars, and we love our cars. Thanks of sharing.
01-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In North America, we've decided rings like this are impossible to do, because, they aren't cars, and we love our cars. Thanks of sharing.
There's more than the population of Australia in the greater Tokyo metro area (about 30 million, and in Oz there's only 23 million). The only practical way for all those people to get around is public transport. Equally, when it comes to the bullet trains, the sheer number of people travelling between Tokyo and Osaka every day can only be safely moved with trains. There's too many people involved to safely move with aircraft.

I like to drive, too, but I'd happily use a train to commute if they were as efficient as in Japan.
01-16-2014, 03:39 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I acquired all my knowledge from bartenders
You and I are defiantly going to get on, is it your round or mine...
01-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is what the grand class seating looks like:

01-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'm curious how the maglev gets its power but I presume that it must be through the same moving magnets that it floats on, or it actually has batteries in the train.
Linear motor. When we were playing with (er - "studying") these at uni in the late 1960s, they were linear induction motors.

Linear motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard.
01-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Linear motor. When we were playing with (er - "studying") these at uni in the late 1960s, they were linear induction motors.

Linear motor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard.
Yep, I understand the linear motor part.
01-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for these pictures Rob, the Shinkansen is a great way to travel within Japan. Once or twice a year I take the train from Tokyo to Nagoya and back and it has always been a very good service.
01-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Thanks for these pictures Rob, the Shinkansen is a great way to travel within Japan. Once or twice a year I take the train from Tokyo to Nagoya and back and it has always been a very good service.
The Tokaido line is good too, but the E5 trains on the Tohoku line are newer. Regardless, I wish I could travel on such trains at home! I also took the Tokaido line later on my trip - to Kyoto, and passed through Nagoya on the way. I agree - the shinkansen is the best way to get around in Japan!