Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Insect Macro with Voigtlander 125mm macro
Posted By: roentarre, 04-10-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks to the weather being mildly warm. There was a chance to take more insect shots with Voigtlander 125mm macro.

The sweet spot was next to a small temple where there are many parked wrecked cars and abandoned cargos etc.

I did not see many insects but the fun of doing macro was just sheer pleasure.

Views: 4,684
04-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
James -
I've noticed that in your images - like that one you just posted with the purple flower and the totally creamy green background - that's just gorgeous...
Sounds like you and I share similar view on bokeh. I had 2 canon guys telling me that it was unnatural colour and bokeh being too plasticky etc...

That shot was taken like that without any touch up. This is my lens

QuoteOriginally posted by Techiechick Quote
Those are amazing macros. I like the first one in the second series of the spider. Were these hand held or on a tripod?

All hand held.

These things do not stick around. Tripods often scared them away. I tried available light if I could but flash is often needed for DOF. Or you would have to place the camera exactly parallel to the insect sagital plane

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
Nice series. I'm still anxious to get a good Macro Lens.
Save til you could get a real 1:1 macro lens. I went through the ladder of filter, extention tube, then to the macro lenses

04-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
dang, your excellent shots of those unusual spidies down under are renewing my dislike of them! They're very well lit btw. What type of supplemental lighting were they taken with?
I have the flash but did not bring it along. So I used the inbuilt flash!

Insect macros are a lot of fun with voigtlander 125mm macro

QuoteOriginally posted by silverelantra Quote
Great shots you have there... though I still wonder whether it's worth buying a dedicated macro lens since I have this wonderful US$ 60 raynox and (IMHO) it works quite well.. could you tell me the superiority of this lens compare to raynox?

Rgds
Your shots are very well taken and nice.

The difference between the two lenses are more obvious when you handle them in real person.

Bokeh in Voigtlander macro is just softer and creamier (nice graduation with no harsh edges). The colour is rich with fine texture.

All lenses can take great pictures with the right photographers. Voigtlander 125mm macro or a good macro lens can enable a photographer photo keeper rate higher. More consistent performance and predictability with a dedicated macro lens as a tool.
04-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
James - great way to put this lens to a great use! Love the colors, terrific backgrounds, compositions, absolutely love the spider in the second set and the "cricket" behind the stick.

Regards,
D
04-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

Bokeh in Voigtlander macro is just softer and creamier (nice graduation with no harsh edges). The colour is rich with fine texture.

All lenses can take great pictures with the right photographers. Voigtlander 125mm macro or a good macro lens can enable a photographer photo keeper rate higher. More consistent performance and predictability with a dedicated macro lens as a tool.
Yes.. I see it now. Take a long time to see it right for a newbie like me
Thanks

04-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful shots! Just do me a favor??? LOL Post a heading before I scroll down into a lagre spider photo!!!!!!!! LOL he he he It's like being right there and close up. Me and spiders are not such good friends, lol
04-14-2008, 02:08 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
James - great way to put this lens to a great use! Love the colors, terrific backgrounds, compositions, absolutely love the spider in the second set and the "cricket" behind the stick.

Regards,
D
Hi Duh

I personally love your post processing a lot, immaculate and classic with a style. Really enjoying yours photos always conveying your philosophy and intent very effectively.

Thanks for browsing through

QuoteOriginally posted by silverelantra Quote
Yes.. I see it now. Take a long time to see it right for a newbie like me
Thanks
Your photos do not seem like newbie to me at all. In fact, I am a newbie in macro and learnt just a thing or two from the fora alike. I am sure you have more experience with photography in general than a mere person in 30s.

Again, it is just a personal experience that could be shared by a majority of people regarding soft creamy bokeh as a must. Not an absolutely strict rule for macro of course.

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Wonderful shots! Just do me a favor??? LOL Post a heading before I scroll down into a lagre spider photo!!!!!!!! LOL he he he It's like being right there and close up. Me and spiders are not such good friends, lol
Sorry about the neglect of spider phobia audience. That actually accounts up to 1% of population in general.

I am flattered to hear great comments after raising your pulse rate and perhaps syncope...
04-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I really need to spend an entire day with the Tamron 90mm attached .. might even hook up the Tamron x1.4 TC with it and see how it goes at 1:1.