Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Insect Macro with Voigtlander 125mm macro
Posted By: roentarre, 04-10-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks to the weather being mildly warm. There was a chance to take more insect shots with Voigtlander 125mm macro.

The sweet spot was next to a small temple where there are many parked wrecked cars and abandoned cargos etc.

I did not see many insects but the fun of doing macro was just sheer pleasure.

Views: 4,678
04-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Great shots again!

I like them also because I am struggling to learn macros myself, and your pictures are a great learning resource for me! Thanks for including EXIF data, where I can learn how you use aperture with different subject!

What gawan said!

I really like the spiders ans the fly! great detail.

04-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
What great images! That lens does such a fantastic job of rendering razor sharp subjects and the most creamy smooth blended background (bokeh for short.) I can't wait for spring and the opportunity to shoot insects and wee things. With the promise of 20 cm of snow today I can't see that happening any time soon. But images like yours are keeping the dream alive - some day we will have spring!
Yes, the lens has that "smooth" feel to the image altogether. Love the colour rendering and its sleekness wth the colour: clean and pleasant to view.

Love to see insects of various kinds on your end

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Wow, they are all superb, as much as I try and cant fault any of them, fantastic
You are too kind. They are some issues with out of focus and dirt in some corners. But sometimes sharpness are not issues on my book.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
These are really nice! My favorites are the first spider shot and the first grasshopper. The grasshopper cracks me up, the way he's looking at you.
It does seem to talk to me somehow. Or give me a warning. I followed it for some 20 minutes in the bush. hehe
04-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tom

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
you have some very interesting-looking insects there!

Well done!

The snow and ice is just about all gone in my area, so I hope to get out after the little critters in a month or so.
Thank you for looking, Tom. I saw some snakes in the region but failed to take a shot since I only wore shorts and slippers!

I remember you got yourself a Fa 100mm macro. Looking forward to your spring images
04-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Thanks gus
In fact, I am puzzled by it too. I spotted when I was trying to get some abstract shots on the web. This thing was like a dot in the corner of a shot I took that I later discovered. It was so tiny!!

I had been asking some insect guys for the name of the thing. Hopefully it has a name.

04-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Nice shots as usual . Great DOF too (the most headache issue in macrophotography).
In deed, a headache. I preferred available light and sometimes it is just impossible to shoot macro like that.

I found f5.6 with flash works quite well on voigtlander 125mm macro. ISO 800 would get most of the background colour without underexposed noise.

Then again, I tried to get camera parallel to the insect plane - a better focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Great shots again!

I like them also because I am struggling to learn macros myself, and your pictures are a great learning resource for me! Thanks for including EXIF data, where I can learn how you use aperture with different subject!
Thanks. I am learning macro shots by browsing some macro websites for ideas. Mousehill is an amazing photographer. His site often has updates on macro work. That is a real resource for macro photographers.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow James so many great shots - I really enjoy spiders and you have some great ones. I am awaiting my summer with a dedicated Macro lens - hopefully living in the 'burbs' it will keep my interested until I can get out to some of the more picturesque places here. That lens from what I see lives up to it's reputation as do you. Great series.
Thanks. Voigtlander can render beautiful bokeh. When there is nothing to photograph, playing around with bokeh is fun.

04-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #21

OH MY GOD! Those voigtlander's are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING... How much are they? LBA Kicking in badly here now!
04-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought it for 350 US dollars. But now it is about 900 US dollars or so.

04-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #23
Inactive Account

6 & 7 are gorgeous, good work!
04-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know how I missed these Roentarre, Great series. Love the spider shots. Beautiful colour with this lens. Bokeh is pretty good and I think you have a soft spot for good bokeh!
04-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
6 & 7 are gorgeous, good work!
Thanks. All taken in 2 hours. The place is filled with micro life!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Don't know how I missed these Roentarre, Great series. Love the spider shots. Beautiful colour with this lens. Bokeh is pretty good and I think you have a soft spot for good bokeh!
Bokeh is one of the top few things I really care about. Better lenses are better in producing more consistent soft bokeh that are pleasing to the eyes.

Thanks Peter
04-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Bokeh is one of the top few things I really care about.
James -
I've noticed that in your images - like that one you just posted with the purple flower and the totally creamy green background - that's just gorgeous...

well done again...
04-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Those are amazing macros. I like the first one in the second series of the spider. Were these hand held or on a tripod?
04-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #28
racinsince55

Nice series. I'm still anxious to get a good Macro Lens.
04-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #29
m8o
Veteran Member

dang, your excellent shots of those unusual spidies down under are renewing my dislike of them! They're very well lit btw. What type of supplemental lighting were they taken with?
04-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #30

Great shots you have there... though I still wonder whether it's worth buying a dedicated macro lens since I have this wonderful US$ 60 raynox and (IMHO) it works quite well.. could you tell me the superiority of this lens compare to raynox?

here some example of raynox on my old prosumer S6500fd

I haven't try it on my super.. maybe later when raining season is over

Rgds