Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Our 6th Winter in the North
Posted By: tessfully, 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM

I find I don't take the camera with me as often this winter. Everything has become so familiar and overshot. But the other day we decided to take our macros out on the dog walk.

Up early, nice sunrise off the deck. I try to shoot it through the icicles for something different.

Looking at the results for different aperture settings and crops

I just kind of liked this one...

Dog walk time, Norman joins us....he's not too steady first thing in the morning.

I can't even make it past the garden without shooting a dead sunflower...(again)

the prerequisite dog shot...Misty waits while we take photos of the usual suspects

In the woods we stop at this massive rock covered in ice and spend a lot of time shooting its intricacies...

And I just can't restrain myself...

the leaves in snow shots...

Thank you for looking....

Last edited by tessfully; 01-16-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Views: 1,746
01-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #16

Very nice series! Sometimes I miss winter weather, for a couple of seconds.

01-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
another beautiful well done series, enjoyed them all Tess.
Thank you Bob!

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Waiting maybe, but the face and mind are saying "Come On".
You are right... she is not a patient or still dog, but she is a sweety!

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
It's always different, each frozen drop is like a snow flake and has it's own shapes and patterns.
Thank you for looking Eaglem... I love staring into the face of ice. It is very similar to water droplets in that whole worlds exist inside them.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
.Wonderful documentary. I think a lot of us Canadians get into some winter funk as it's generally a colorless cold world out there for many months. You and Norm always seem to come up with something which in turn inspires me so thanks for that.

Thanks Dave... but looking over the last few years I see so much repetition. I try to convince myself the photography is better even if the subjects are the same.
01-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great series Tess. I found the ice covered rock very intriguing.

Tim
01-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
It is 10 am here and nudging 38 degrees Celsius (100F) already. Your ice photos look very refreshing indeed.
Bruce, I feel for you. I've been watching the news and the heat and fires in your part of the world are seriously tragic. I hope you are doing okay. Thanks for having a look. Wish I could send some cool your way.

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
A very lovely series, Tess. It is a struggle between familiarity and fresh ideas, isn't.
Thank you Jac! It is a huge struggle these days. Maybe it is just my mindset, but I think I need to leave my stomping grounds and head into some new trail and lake areas. Just so hard to pack everyone into the car to go somewhere when there is 1000's hectares out the back door.

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Hear, hear!

Haven't spotted any icicles on my porch this week either. Was 45.1C (113F) a couple of days ago and the whole week has been 42C (108F) plus. Still 35C at 1am the other night. Finally some rerlief is coming tonight and we are back to more pleasant summer temperatures for the coming week.
I hope those nicer temps arrive soon for you southlander. Thank you for having a look.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I love these photos, but I am with Rupert, that one of Misty just takes me. That said, the ice is great, especially the one you liked most. Great 3D imaging and textures. Now, Norm, that's another matter, a little out of 'focus' or center or something.... I hope it resolves.

Ya, I like that shot of Norm... he really is a mess first thing in the morning. Well, until aroun 1 in the afternoon, then he starts to wake up. Thanks for the nice comments Jacquot.

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
You always do good work, Tess, and these are no exception. I remember when you joined the forum and being impressed by what you achieved with, I think, some not-very-sophisticated gear.

Your shot of Norm is obviously a true-to-life documentary shot

Hmm. I'm having a hyphenated-day today. Eh. So-be-it.

Richard.
I love hyphenated days... everything clicks on hyphenated (or dot dot dot) days!! Thanks for commenting and thanks for such a lovely compliment. I used an Option 10 (or something like that) then graduated to an Option W80, and onto a Kx and now my K5. It has been an awesome journey. Thanks for the reminder

QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
Very nice series! Sometimes I miss winter weather, for a couple of seconds.
Thank you momoloco, I wouldn't trade my winter's for anything (well maybe downgrade winter to 3 months would be fine). I love snowshoeing and the cold.

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Great series Tess. I found the ice covered rock very intriguing.

Tim
Thanks Tim!!! ... those rock shots are amazing on the big screen...I took many but realize you really have to study them close to see the different reflections, shapes and textures, otherwise they look too similar to post as a series.

01-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Your ice pictures Tess are very cool to say the least.--charliezap