Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Spanish Moss
Lens: FA 31/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Spanish moss, hanging from live oaks and other trees here in the south, can impart a gothic or foreboding feel to a scene under the right conditions. I've never succeeded in capturing that feel in a photograph, but I came closer than ever before in this shot I took a few days ago in a wildlife refuge near where we live. I stopped down to f/16 to accentuate the star effect of the sun, but the result was less than stellar ( pun was intended). Still, while I didn't hit the sweet spot, I'll keep this one until I do better.

Jer

Views: 1,641
01-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this really looks great, you got the light through the moss just right.
01-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a nice enough picture Jer, nothing wrong with it. I have tried the same thing a few times in Florida, with very middling success. It's not as easy as it looks.
01-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
this really looks great, you got the light through the moss just right.
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
It's a nice enough picture Jer, nothing wrong with it. I have tried the same thing a few times in Florida, with very middling success. It's not as easy as it looks.
Thanks for the kind words guys, but I just can't reproduce the look of this stuff the way I want to - when I saw this shot today, I thought, "why did I post this?"

But, Hey, I just got back from a "vigorous" ride in the Boxster S and I'm sippin' cold one, so what the H---?

Jer

01-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

I like it. You can really get that feeling spanish moss is supposed to give in a photo. I myself have had little luck with the stuff in my limited access to it (does not grow too much in NY).
01-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
I like it. You can really get that feeling spanish moss is supposed to give in a photo. I myself have had little luck with the stuff in my limited access to it (does not grow too much in NY).
Thanks much, Scott - your comment makes me feel better . It seems weird that a tree that happens to have a bunch of moss hanging on it is so hard to capture effectively .

Jer
01-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll second (third?) the other comments about the difficulty. Or disappointment... I've never had much luck capturing the stuff, either. Maybe because the "moss" (it's actually a bromeliad, related to pineapples, yes indeedy) is so fine and ethereal. The only way to capture the real texture of it is to get in close and then you lose the total effect. So images (mine, anyway) tend to show some sort of smoky gray stuff. Anyhow you did better than you think!

01-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Indeed shooting into the sun is a foreboding task for sure and you nailed it.
01-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I'll second (third?) the other comments about the difficulty. Or disappointment... I've never had much luck capturing the stuff, either. Maybe because the "moss" (it's actually a bromeliad, related to pineapples, yes indeedy) is so fine and ethereal. The only way to capture the real texture of it is to get in close and then you lose the total effect. So images (mine, anyway) tend to show some sort of smoky gray stuff. Anyhow you did better than you think!
Thanks, Julie - and you've described the dilemma of photographing this stuff perfectly. I'd no idea this moss is related to pineapples . We've got a big, granddaddy live oak in our backyard, but for some reason it's never had much moss. Perhaps it's too busy dropping various products of it's life processes on our driveway - something it does virtually all year long .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Indeed shooting into the sun is a foreboding task for sure and you nailed it.
Thanks buddy - I always appreciate your comments.

Jer
01-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

IMO, looks great! Did you try bracketing to see which direction with the exposure you need to head with?
01-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
Closed Account

Very nice capture. It always reminds me of the South.
01-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

A neat shot there Jer.Hopefully in a little bit more than a month I'll be taking shots like that.--capn zap
01-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed with the many comments about the difficulty of photographing this iconic plant, and that you've done a fine job here, nice arrangement and definitely brings across the way this wispy little plant has such a dense visual impact.
01-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Gotzy Quote
IMO, looks great! Did you try bracketing to see which direction with the exposure you need to head with?
Thanks, Tom - I appreciate the nice words. You know, I almost always bracket a shot like this, but for some reason, I didn't do so in this instance. However, during PP, I did "drop" the exposure by about -0.3 EV (something that should have been done in the camera ).

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Very nice capture. It always reminds me of the South.
Thanks, Michael.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A neat shot there Jer.Hopefully in a little bit more than a month I'll be taking shots like that.--capn zap
Thanks much, Capn. Yeah, you'll be among this sort of fauna soon, my friend .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Agreed with the many comments about the difficulty of photographing this iconic plant, and that you've done a fine job here, nice arrangement and definitely brings across the way this wispy little plant has such a dense visual impact.
I really appreciate your thoughtful and kind comments!

Jer
01-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
I spent a couple days in Savannah recently and really only came away with one keeper of the moss. And even that one I wasn't super excited about. I think you did a nice job with this one!!