Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
a few water shots
Posted By: khardur, 04-12-2008, 01:42 AM

don't have too much time to comment on these (running off to work) but I've been shooting lots of water lately.
Here's a few from the past couple weeks:

middle two lit with a single vivitar 283 flash.
last one: not water you say? - actually a reflection.
Enjoy
Views: 2,126
04-12-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The last shot grabs my attention the most. I was wondering whether you shoot with so much rain drops on the lens? But it has that fog effect or soft focus effect that is so dreamy to look at.

Beautiful.

The most interesting form of natural substance is water. Existing in three forms, appearing so different.

Great series, Dan
04-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Really nice. The first one grabs me with such a vivid sense of movement -- in so many directions! Looks like 1/3 sec was the perfect shutter speed in this case.
04-12-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always look forward to your shots Dan, excellent vision that is a treat.

The first is interesting and very different from what most would do with the same subject. At first glance it looks like thousands of Silk strands in the central area of the image. Love the light and contrast.

The second is very good. A hint of the "terminator" where the water covers the leaf (?) and the whole thing is silver. Again great use of the light and perfect timing. Please don't tell me this took only one shot to capture.

The third is a great image but I can't figure out what I'm looking at. I must have looked it over for 3 minutes. Is this a shot of a shallow pond/lake/riverbed with water splashing off camera? The water beads have interesting shapes and almost look like glass. Great use of light and shadow.

The last is very nice as well. Unlike James it's my least favourite but as a stand along image, still very good. The blur (water drop?) 3/4 up on the right side gives it away. Good sharpness in the water and great colour/contrast.

Great series and time well spent on "water".

Last edited by Peter Zack; 04-12-2008 at 07:25 AM.
04-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You're all wet Dan ! I really like the hint of green in the first one. Great narrow DOF on #2 and godd timing. I am with Peter on #3 not sure what it is , the expression I don't know Art but I know what I like comes to mind - Now that you mention the last one is a reflection I can see it , not sure I would have picked that up. Great series and hurry and get home from work to post some more.
04-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Boy; all 4 are terrific shots. I kept going back and looking at each one since they are all different techniques, timing etc. Great series. I can't even say what my favorite was.
04-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
James: much more PP in that last one than I think I've ever done - second layer with a bit of embossing filter, burn and desaturate outer edges, etc...

Peter: second one is actually ice with water dripping off of it.. (yes that was what, 2 days ago?) - i can't believe it was nearly 60 degrees but in this mini "gorge" area I go to I found half a foot of snow still...

Daacon: (and everyone) The really abstract one that's hard to figure out - it's air bubbles trapped under water flowing from top left to bottom right over rocks, camera facing straight down - flash froze the bubbles nicely - i was experimenting with bubbles - didn't really know what I was going to come up with, but I like it.

ww2: thanks. I'm excited I got some decent images, too much work=not enough time for pictures sometimes.

04-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here's one more...

a silly spider attached a strand of web to this piece of ice - I'm sure it all has crashed into the brook by now. Oh well!
04-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice water captures. # 3 looks like air bubbles, sweeping along, trapped under an iced over surface. (had a budy that fell through the ice once when we were kids playing hockey. I remember seeing him below the ice and the bubbles looked the same way). - and yes we did get him out, but the vision burned image in my mind.
04-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
dbh
Inactive Account

Posts like yours really get me going. I find the subject matter so compelling, I could wear out a camera playing with droplets seeking the rare few gems that sometimes get caught.
I did my graduate work imaging exploding droplets under a high-speed stroboscopically lit microscope. Made them collide, watched them sprout little jets when highly charged, caught it all on video. Now I come in here and see water and droplets and get all dreamy again...

Thanks for posting! Post more!
--
dbh
04-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #11

Amazing photos! I like #2 from the original post best, then the silly spidey on the icicile.