Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Where the heck have I been
Camera: K-5 
Posted By: slowpez, 01-29-2014, 03:50 PM

Well, the bloom is off the rose as far as Key West is concerned. We didn't enjoy it as much as we did last year but yet................I will post lots of boring pictures. Having decided that I will never catch up with forum posts until we settle in again at home I take this liberty to give you something to do while I do laundry. We only stayed two weeks, the weather was bad, humid, rainy and hot. Anyone here the ? Not me. High was in the eighties as was the low. NOT COMFORTABLE. We left the keys just in time to hit the coldest winter in Florida in years. Ya just can't win.
Anyhow, here are the first few from the keys. Hope you enjoy all the suffering that was involved in taking these.

Boat bits. Couldn't resist.

Pelicans - they are everywhere and so photogenic.

And seagulls of course.

Our first sunset at Fort Zachary Taylor. One of our favorite places for sunset although the minute the sun hits the horizon the park police are chasing you back to your bicycle to get you out of the park.

Views: 1,480
01-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series Susan that sky is incredible ! Wow ..sorry about the weather , I think a lot of us can relate (we spent 10 days in the Caribbean once of which 8 were pouring rain)
01-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some very nice images Susan, sorry that you had such lousy weather. Fortunately were are not able to change that (yet) because we'd screw that up as well.
01-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wonderful images Susan, I really like the Penn Senator Gold reels. Looks like I can reach out and grab one.

01-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
the park police are chasing you back to your bicycle to get you out of the park.
Why is this? they want home for their tea or something.
01-30-2014, 03:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nicely shit Susan and the PP is outstanding.
01-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

*shaking the snow off his boots and coat to go stand by the wood burning stove since it's -11 degrees* Yeah... that just looks like torture down there. :-p (nice shots)

01-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

always found a bit or rum smooths out those tropical rough spots.... as always, beautiful series susan...
i'd trade some of that wamth for the deep freeze up this way...... dave m
01-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A fine series Susan. I'll trade locations with you.--charliezap
01-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series Susan that sky is incredible ! Wow ..sorry about the weather , I think a lot of us can relate (we spent 10 days in the Caribbean once of which 8 were pouring rain)
Thanks Dave. Most of our problems on this trip stemmed from the fact that we had spent so much time there last year that we found it boring this year. The coast guard closed off our access gate to the old seaport too which made the walk/bike ride a lot longer and, believe it or not, you can only drink so many margaritas. Sad but true.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Some very nice images Susan, sorry that you had such lousy weather. Fortunately were are not able to change that (yet) because we'd screw that up as well.
We surely would Heinrich. This has been one heck of a winter for everybody.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
wonderful images Susan, I really like the Penn Senator Gold reels. Looks like I can reach out and grab one.
Who knew those reels had a name?

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Why is this? they want home for their tea or something.
Funny how some people refuse to work more than 10-12 hour days.
01-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Funny how some people refuse to work more than 10-12 hour days
So that's where I've be going wrong all these years.
01-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Nicely shit Susan and the PP is outstanding.
I forgive you for that one Trev. You should never let your fingers do the walking.: Thanks for the kind comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
*shaking the snow off his boots and coat to go stand by the wood burning stove since it's -11 degrees* Yeah... that just looks like torture down there. :-p (nice shots)
Shaking the sand off is hard work too.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
always found a bit or rum smooths out those tropical rough spots.... as always, beautiful series susan...
i'd trade some of that wamth for the deep freeze up this way...... dave m
You have had it rough Dave but I guess cold is just relative. We run into lots of Canadians running around in shorts while we are bundled up in two coats and gloves. Forty degrees is nothing to them but feels like Antarctica to us.

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A fine series Susan. I'll trade locations with you.--charliezap
If memory serves, you will be down this way again (Florida) in March correct? Hopefully the weather will be perfect for you then.
01-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Susan - long time, no "see." I really dig this series - the sunsets are special and the Pelican in take off mode (?) is very cool. Are you doing some special processing with some of these?

Jer
01-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Susan - long time, no "see." I really dig this series - the sunsets are special and the Pelican in take off mode (?) is very cool. Are you doing some special processing with some of these?

Jer
Thanks Jer. Glad you enjoyed them. The reels got a heavy touch from Nik's Color Efex Pro. The last one I slapped a couple of square filters in front of the lens to slow everything down (I have to get a 10 ND filter.) The rest got a taste of Color Efex on detail and contrast.
01-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I really like the sunset shots Susan.
And I love your pp work on the reels.

And if it makes you feel any warmer - I just heard on the news yesterday that since December 1st up here in Minnesota we've had 29 days so far where the temp never got above 0F at any point during the day. (Not that I'm complaining. I'll take that over 90F & humid anytime!)

Tim