Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

I'm making a big splash.
Posted By: charliezap, 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM

Being retired gives me the opportunity to try many silly things. Several weeks ago I tried capturing a balloon bursting. It worked but it didn't really show much.I had an epiphany and thought that I would try something different.I don't know where this is going to lead me but it's fun goofing around since I have time on my hands.The flash on low power has a really short flash duration. The K5 is set on burst mode and the flash keeps up with it really well.When the hummingbirds return here in May I may give it a try using this method.They do let me get extremely close and the flash never phases them in the least. In the 2nd shot the golf ball is just breaking the surface of the water.Too many fun days in the 60's are still in my head and they do surface from time to time.--charliezap
Name:  001-1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  222.2 KB

Name:  035-zz.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  212.9 KB

Name:  064.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  125.7 KB

Views: 1,715
01-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love how the water is like a glass sculpture just by itself. fantastic!

01-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

What if you found a completely black container (without flecks) set up in a dark room, and dropped a golf ball painted black, or a black marble?
02-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done I never get to see that on the golf course so that's what my ball looks like !
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Capn - I always thought of you as a new wave kind of guy. Great shots, great fun.

Jer
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
way cool capture Charlie, rumor has it you are going to try some type of snow blower/squirrel experiment next.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Cool shots Charlie, you've got me thinking...
cheers

......... can't wait for those shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Love your goofing around. You have given some ideas for when the weather cools a bit.
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
cool!
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Well captured Charlie. Ain't retirement grand. Love the first one. Could be used in an ad.
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Time Lapse Charlie those are so cool
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I love how the water is like a glass sculpture just by itself. fantastic!
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
What if you found a completely black container (without flecks) set up in a dark room, and dropped a golf ball painted black, or a black marble?
Thanks to all for the comments.It is fun trying out new aspects of photography.--charliezap
02-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have just combined two of man's most addictive diseases, photography and golf. Oh and as the golf balls are in water, they must be mine. Please return them by express post.

02-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #20

Yeah these are some great shots.
I also enjoy the first one the most.
02-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

good shoots I like how you caught the splash I did something like this with milk on film back in school
02-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lguckert79 Quote
good shoots I like how you caught the splash I did something like this with milk on film back in school
I put the camera on burst mode (5 shots per sec) and set the Vivitar flash on 1/16 power.I triggered the camera and then dropped the golf ball.I repeated this several times and was able to catch some at the right moment.It was actually quite easy.What I learned with this is that the flash will keep up with the burst mode from the K5 at a low output from the flash.If I was to jack up the output the flash would never recycle in time for each shot.--charliezap

02-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #23
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
What I'm thinking Em long term is taking pics outside of flying insects or birds close up 3-4 stops under exposed but using the burst mode with flash to capture them with a natural look.--charliezap
Great idea. Hope you post more on this come spring time so I can remember to try it too.

If you are looking for ideas you can certainly try a simple variation on this experiment. For example - if you add a little dish soap to the water you will completely change the viscosity and thus the splash pattern. Or you can add a bit of starch and thicken up the water a bit.
This sort of work is done by scientists because there is a correlation between the ejecta patterns seen from various fluids and planetary impacts. Let me know if you want me to dig up some sources.