Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Sinking Winter Sun
Lens: A 18-135mm Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Elida, Ohio ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 02-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Views: 971
02-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice, good positioning of the sun in the shot.
02-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are up for an experiment, try cropping the image from the left of the fireball all the way to the left side (i.e the idea is to remove the inch or so on the right) while keeping the same aspect ratio. I like this picture, but find the bright part too bright and thus too much contrast. I tried my idea on my own computer and liked the result, but I'm often reluctant to post a cropping of someone else's image unless they've asked for advice. I'd be interested to know what you think.
02-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
If you are up for an experiment, try cropping the image from the left of the fireball all the way to the left side (i.e the idea is to remove the inch or so on the right) while keeping the same aspect ratio. I like this picture, but find the bright part too bright and thus too much contrast. I tried my idea on my own computer and liked the result, but I'm often reluctant to post a cropping of someone else's image unless they've asked for advice. I'd be interested to know what you think.
Kind of like this below. It does get rid of the distracting blown out sun spot, but it balanced as well? Not sure which I like the best, good idea though.
Name:  20140126PENTAX K-30-0066-2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  127.1 KB

02-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you need to crop a bit from the bottom to keep the aspect ratio the same. Worth playing with a bit more to see if there is a perfect crop point. Overall though, I will likely prefer any version this omits the brightest parts of the first version. It may only be a picture, but I still feel like I'm looking at the sun and burning out my eyes in the process.
02-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

love the reflection on the snow Tom, very pretty.
02-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think you need to crop a bit from the bottom to keep the aspect ratio the same. Worth playing with a bit more to see if there is a perfect crop point. Overall though, I will likely prefer any version this omits the brightest parts of the first version. It may only be a picture, but I still feel like I'm looking at the sun and burning out my eyes in the process.
I tried that and didn't care for it, it loses the swirling snow, here's an alternate to get to that wider aspect cutting the sky. It was a strange comp anyway as the horizon was nearly in the middle because the dual focus of the scene was the snow and the sky.

Name:  20140126PENTAX K-30-0066-3.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  153.1 KB

02-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wasn't too precise when I tried the experiment myself, so I may have kept most of the swirl and only approximated the aspect ratio. I do like this latest version the best. Has a nice mixture of the harshness of the weather with the tranquility of an open field at the end of the day. Thanks for trying things out.
02-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wasn't too precise when I tried the experiment myself, so I may have kept most of the swirl and only approximated the aspect ratio. I do like this latest version the best. Has a nice mixture of the harshness of the weather with the tranquility of an open field at the end of the day. Thanks for trying things out.
Thanks for the suggestions, it was fun. Sometimes when you create something it's easy to overlook the flaws and just notice what you like about it.
02-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I think I like the third one the best. Cropping out the sun ball improves it. At least to me.
02-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter

#1 is great, Maybe try a monochrome of that?
02-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like 'em all, but I'm still partial to the first one - a great look at a cold winter landscape.

Jer
02-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The blown out sun has never really bothered me. Sometimes it has its place in the universe. The sun is what it is but I still like the first one the best though the third one is pretty nice too.
02-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
The blown out sun has never really bothered me. Sometimes it has its place in the universe. The sun is what it is but I still like the first one the best though the third one is pretty nice too.
I have a feeling that a person's reaction may in part be due to the way they have their monitor tuned. I cranked the brightness way down, even for general use, so that when I'm processing images it is closer to being calibrated to what a print shop might produce. So the bright sun really sticks out on my screen. I suspect if I made the whole image brighter, it might not be as striking overall.
02-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I liked the cropped on better but cool photo!