Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Grant's Grove Kings Canyon
Lens: DA 18-55 & Tokina 28 2.8 Camera: k-7 k20d Photo Location: Sierra Mountains California 
Posted By: j2photos, 02-02-2014, 12:10 AM

Decided to take a trip to Kings Canyon today. We ran very short on time but here is what I was able to capture. Tried some different stuff with the sunsets.

Views: 1,464
02-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning, Great Series, those are redwoods I believe?
02-02-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

These are sequoias. Redwoods grow along the coast, they could not survive the cold of the high Sierra.

Last edited by pixie; 02-02-2014 at 03:23 AM.
02-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cheers Pentaxpixie, was just guessing still big trees, are sequoias and redwood related?

02-02-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They are related, Redwoods typically grow taller while the Sequoias are wider, or bigger, Sequoias are only found on the western slopes of Sierra Mountains while Redwoods are found along the coast of Northern California. I plan on visiting the Coastal Redwoods next weekend and I will post my "adventure" afterwards. I am humbled to live near all this beautiful scenery,
02-02-2014, 04:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

look forward to More Photos. Cheers
02-02-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I, too, feel privileged to live near all this beauty. California has all the biggest (a Sequoia), tallest (a Redwood), and oldest tree in the world which would be one of the bristlecone pines of the White Mountains. The big one is the well known General Sherman, the location of the other two is kept secret.

02-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
I, too, feel privileged to live near all this beauty. California has all the biggest (a Sequoia), tallest (a Redwood), and oldest tree in the world which would be one of the bristlecone pines of the White Mountains. The big one is the well known General Sherman, the location of the other two is kept secret.

I would have loved to have seen more today but the family got such a late start. I am new to the area and did not know to bring snow chains(Stupid I know) so the rangers obviously limited me as to where in the park I could go. Some of those roads did not look like they would have been friendly to my FWD car

edit: I think I read somewhere that General Grant is #2 and then the one called President is 3rd. But I could be incorrect.
02-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
TFS these. Especially enjoyed the sunsets. One of the few national parks we have not been to and we regret missing it.
02-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow, awesome trees! Thanks for sharing, I wish we had trees like that over here, would make the forest walks much more interestinga
02-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the snow really puts a great accent on the trees beauty, I like how you were experimenting with getting the height of the trees and the sunsets are stunning as said.
02-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the kinds words. Sometimes I feel the biggest flaw with my photos is that I get so excited. I am not used to such beautiful scenery. I think I need to slow down and think more before some of my shots but I get so excited about all this beauty I just start frantically snapping sometimes. It doesn't help that most times it is the first time I have seen such things. Maybe once I have been to these places a couple times I can center myself enough to snap something truly breathtaking. I have now started going on outings every weekend to catch all the truly beautiful things that are around me. If you guys know of anything within driving distance of me that you would like to see, or think I might like to see let me know and I will put it on my list
02-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can certainly see why you would get so excited at the chance to experience (and photograph) such amazing scenes! Please do continue to share your discoveries on your park rambles...

PS - Do you use a tripod? That's one tool that forces me to slow down and think about photos.
02-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most of them were using a tripod. The first one was actually a 30s exposure with a Hoya ND filter @ f22 and 100iso. Sometimes its hard because I have the kids and dealing with them can be like herding cats My wife has given me clearance to go back to some of these spots alone so I can snag some shots without having to hear "DAD COME ON! WHY ARE YOU SO SLOW!?"
02-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spectacular trees and the sunsets too are delightful.