Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Drip Drop - Inspired by Codiac2600
Posted By: bigben91682, 04-13-2008, 09:43 AM

Codiac2600 aka Chris the friendly neighborhood moderator...had a post on his blog a while ago about shooting water droplets. He produced some very cool shots using his techniqe, and I had some free time yesterday, and the weather sucked outside, so I started playing around with the same concept. So Chris, thanks for the inspiration.

My setup was a little different that what he showed because I don't really have all the gear he did. I put a long shelf across the sink and used a big translucent tupperware bowl. I used a 360fgz firing into the side of the bowl, lighting the water from "underneath". I don't have any gels to use so I just put food coloring in the water. I fiddled with the faucet until I got a steady drip and started shooting.

I don't have a dedicated macro lens, so this pictures aren't as sharp as I would have liked (in fact I think this little exercise has inspired me to get something truely macro). I used a Tamron 70-300 in macro mode, and the DA* 50-135 from a distance. I was using the wireless trigger on the 360, and sometimes holding it in different positions on the end of a monopod.

The colors and sharpness were tweaked in PP and images were cropped. Shot with the K20D.

The whole gallery is here: Water

But these are some of my favorites...

Last edited by bigben91682; 07-20-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Views: 2,960
04-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Great job!

It may take some time but it's well worth the effort to learn the timing and have fun. Heck it should eventually teach you the lag time of your camera to help you in other areas of photography.

Thanks for the props and we should do a little class in drippy water shots and challenge the whole forum to try it. No prizes, just fun learning something new.

04-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Chris took the time to do the tutorial and you did an excellent job in actioning it.
You both encourage the rest of us to try this.
04-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent - I like water shots and those are very good.