Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lone Warrior
Lens: Tamron f2.8 17-50 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Canberra, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 02-02-2014, 04:05 AM

There's not much grass left in Canberra. I hope there's some decent rain soon!
Views: 1,632
02-02-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
He may be alone, but he's sure spotted you.

Great capture, well titled too.
02-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I have a question. It may be a stupid American question but I have to ask!! I watch a lot of documentaries, and aren't those dangerous???? You were shooting with a 16-50 which tells me you were pretty close to get that shot. Thanks for taking a chance of being on "When animals attack" to get a cool shot!
02-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good shot Rob G. yes also dry up here as well, one extreme to another.

02-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
aren't those dangerous????
Only when you try to eat a whole one.
02-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I have a question. It may be a stupid American question but I have to ask!! I watch a lot of documentaries, and aren't those dangerous???? You were shooting with a 16-50 which tells me you were pretty close to get that shot. Thanks for taking a chance of being on "When animals attack" to get a cool shot!
I've never seen a kangaroo attack a human, but it does happen - most likely if you get between a male and his ladies, I imagine, or when he's feeling cornered for some reason. A Japanese friend of mine tried to pat one even though I reminded her that they're wild animals. It just hopped away. It's the big males like this guy that are dangerous, but generally they'll just hop away if you're too close. It's not a stupid question at all. Mind you, I was much more worried about bears when I was in the USA than I've ever been about anything in Australia!
02-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #7

Cool picture!

02-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rob, I like this combination landscape-wildlife shot - puts the kangaroo in context. Nice job.

Jer
02-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I've never seen a kangaroo attack a human, but it does happen - most likely if you get between a male and his ladies, I imagine, or when he's feeling cornered for some reason. A Japanese friend of mine tried to pat one even though I reminded her that they're wild animals. It just hopped away. It's the big males like this guy that are dangerous, but generally they'll just hop away if you're too close. It's not a stupid question at all. Mind you, I was much more worried about bears when I was in the USA than I've ever been about anything in Australia!
With the bears it is the ladies you have to worry about when they have cubs.
02-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good shot. If you want rain to come down under, just let me know, here is rainy over a month now, I'll be more than happy send you some of that...

02-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like how you captured it in the darker shadow and the sweeping light in front. Nicely done Rob.
02-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He is a big'un alright. Look at those forearms. Nice shot.
02-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I can imagine being mauled by a bear is worse than being mauled by a roo. Not that I would want to be mauled by anything. Always carry a large bottle of pepper spray when in the remote wilderness.
02-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Good shot Rob G. yes also dry up here as well, one extreme to another.
Thanks! Fingers crossed we all get more rain - without going from one extreme to the other! Unfortunately the likely solution will be a cyclone...

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Only when you try to eat a whole one.
Good point! I've only had kangaroo steak in small amounts.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sdenby Quote
Cool picture!
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Rob, I like this combination landscape-wildlife shot - puts the kangaroo in context. Nice job.
Thanks Jer! I could have got closer, but I wanted to underline his isolation in the dust and dead grass.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
With the bears it is the ladies you have to worry about when they have cubs.
They say that the female of the species is the more deadly. Not kangaroos though.

QuoteOriginally posted by SkipperRi Quote
Good shot. If you want rain to come down under, just let me know, here is rainy over a month now, I'll be more than happy send you some of that...
Please do if you can!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I like how you captured it in the darker shadow and the sweeping light in front. Nicely done Rob.
Thanks Bob!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
He is a big'un alright. Look at those forearms. Nice shot.
Yeah, I don't think I'd try going a couple of rounds against him!

I can imagine being mauled by a bear is worse than being mauled by a roo. Not that I would want to be mauled by anything. Always carry a large bottle of pepper spray when in the remote wilderness.
Interesting idea! I wouldn't want to get mauled by anything either. I understand that a kangaroo can do a lot of damage with a kick of one of those hind legs. So in the case of Kangaroos, "mauling" isn't really the right word. I'd like to put a smiley here, but it's a pretty serious topic. The most dangerous large animals in Oz are generally feral - cattle, horses, pigs, camels, dogs. Having said that, I've spent a lot of time out in national parks and never had a problem.
02-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I've only had kangaroo steak in small amounts
Aye, me too as it's pretty expensive and hard to get over here.