Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Murphy's Haystacks
Camera: K-7 
Posted By: Bruce Clark, 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Murphy's Haystacks.

On our recent trip we came across these granite boulders on a small hill near Streaky Bay on South Australia's Eyre Peninsula. I could have spent days there. As it was it was a very hot day at about lunchtime and we had other places to go. The weathering on these boulders is quite fascinating and the colours are almost unbelievable. The red is the true colour of the granite and the lichens and water staining add the most fantastic patterns. This is one place I must return in early morning and sunset.

1 Dominating the local landscape

2 One of the several clusters on the site

3 Colours and patterns formed by lichen

4 Quite windy here and the trees are quite straggly and wind blown.

5 A permanent wave

6 Detail under the wave

7 A human element gives some proportion to the boulders.

8 A cluster of boulders overlooking the picnic shelter.

9. A very colourful group

Views: 953
02-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting haystacks - not sure that is the name I would give them, but I can see why it fits. I really like 4 + 9 - the variety of shapes and sizes make the images more interesting for me.
Did you get a chance to take any macro images of the colouration and lichens?
02-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As if a giant placed them in his playground. Very interesting to view these Bruce, appears they must of once been under water with high volumes of water causing the erosion? What a fun place to explore, do they allow camping at the site?
02-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Interesting haystacks - not sure that is the name I would give them, but I can see why it fits. I really like 4 + 9 - the variety of shapes and sizes make the images more interesting for me.
Did you get a chance to take any macro images of the colouration and lichens?
Some of the rocks do in fact resemble old fashion haystack's from certain angles such as this one but certainly not all.

I must confess I did not do any macro. I have a brother and a niece living nearby and on my next visit I intend to spend more time here.

02-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bruce, that are wonderful photos of a very interesting place, thanks for showing us.
02-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
As if a giant placed them in his playground. Very interesting to view these Bruce, appears they must of once been under water with high volumes of water causing the erosion? What a fun place to explore, do they allow camping at the site?
As I understand it wind blown sand is mostly responsible for the hollowing out of the rock. Water does have a role in shaping the tops by entering cracks and freezing on cold night. The expansion of the ice results in the "onion' layering that can be seen. Not sure about camping, it is on private property. There are several campsites on the nearby coast, with and without facilities.
02-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those look like some epic boulders. Would love to visit them. You've captured them well and I really like the shapes and backgrounds. Great work!

02-04-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Very unusual. Good shots, thanks.
02-04-2014, 04:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Very unusual. Good shots, thanks.
Thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Those look like some epic boulders. Would love to visit them. You've captured them well and I really like the shapes and backgrounds. Great work!
Thanks. Well worth the visit even if a bit out of the way for most people. Most photos in the guide books show them at sunset when the look even more spectacular. Sadly I was very time limited on this trip but we are planning to return next October.
02-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, what unusual formations - a terrific series, Bruce.

Jer
02-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That is one interesting place Bruce. You could spend hours photographing those formations. TFS.