Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Head on Crash
Posted By: maxamillion, 04-13-2008, 05:12 PM

The following are three images from a head collision between two vehicles yesterday afternoon and incidental minor damage to a small pick-up truck.
Three occupants of the two cars sustained injuries and were transported to hospital.

Two Fire & Rescue Departments responded to the scene, along with three police agencies and ambulances.

I shot over a 100 images, some graphic which I will not display.

Just picked three as examples, I shot all images with my K10D and the Tamron 18-250mm lens.
I don't have time to mess around with settings during these incidents, so put camera on Auto (Green mode)
Camera was set to RAW. Very hot, very bright sunshine, with lots of glare.

When I loaded the images onto Aperture 2.1 they were all RAW, which surprised me as I thought
they would automatically load as jpegs, as I had the camera set to Auto. Guess not.
I now shoot mostly in RAW, but assumed if I set camera to Auto I would just get jpegs.

I still have to check my manual, does anyone know off the top of their heads if this is correct.
It's great for me if the camera is supposed to work this way.

Thanks, Rg.

Views: 2,633
04-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Good journalistic reporting. As far as I know, if the camera is set inside to record RAW, it doesn't matter which mode you record in, its still going to be RAW. You can set the camera to record RAW and JPG and you will get two images of each shot. However, it does use more space on your memory card, so it's a trade off.

Diane
04-14-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow nasty crash with thousands of $$ damage - hope everyone ends up ok, Diane is correct - the jpg , raw Raw+, quaility is a seperate menu setting that will be maintained regradless of shooting mode.
04-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good 'on the spot' images there. Are you in Emergency services or a photojournalist?

With regards to RAW, the only time a K10D wont take RAW, when it's set as the file format, is when you bracket shots. They will always be in .jpg

04-14-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
KrisK10D.

I am a photographer for a Fire & Rescue Dep't and also get to work with four other F&R Departments.

Many incidents require me to shoot rapidly, moving from spot to spot. Most of the time I can't mess around with changing camera settings as I might miss a shot. So the Auto setting and using RAW works out great. I was actually very surprised the K10 did such a good job in Auto on such a bright sunny day with lots of flare around.
There are many other shots showing the kindness and care our guys take with victims, it's nice to know if one is ever unfortunate to be involved in an accident, that same care will be given to us.

Thanks guys for the compliments and info..

Rg.

Last edited by maxamillion; 04-14-2008 at 11:46 AM.
04-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Couple more images.

First image, is the other car involved in head on. (Mazda Protege)

Second image, is the car in previous post, (Brand new Nissan Altima) occupant is still inside vehicle. The small truck was in the wrong place at the wrong time, stopped at the stop sign as this car spun around after being hit and ended up lightly hitting head on into the truck. A double hit for the occupants. Occupant of truck was not hurt.

Rg.