Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Flicker
Lens: Rokinon 650-1300 zoom Camera: K-x Photo Location: Grand Coulee, WA ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: 45 Mike, 02-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Views: 975
02-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
another one I would definately do some more PP to. You can see the fringing, which is easy to get out in most PP programs. The photo itself is good. The downfalls of the lens that you are using is what is the problem. Those big tele Rokinon lenses are known for fringing and CA. and also being soft. If I recall that lens comes with a 2x teleconverter on it which isnt helping the sharpness either.
02-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Rokinon and stuff

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
another one I would definately do some more PP to. You can see the fringing, which is easy to get out in most PP programs. The photo itself is good. The downfalls of the lens that you are using is what is the problem. Those big tele Rokinon lenses are known for fringing and CA. and also being soft. If I recall that lens comes with a 2x teleconverter on it which isnt helping the sharpness either.

I read about some of the issues in reviews on the lens, for the money, I decided to try it.
It is not easy to use, and cannot get as good of an image as a prime, but I do not have thousands of dollars to spend on a wildlife lens.
I did get the 2x converter, but did not use it on this shot.

I use Linux, and GIMP for editing stuff, I will see if there is some tool or tutorial on removing that fringe stuff, even some of my better lenses show that at times, frustrating.
02-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have never used GIMP but if it has color channel controls try and desaturate the magenta channel. Fringing is something we all have to deal with at times and with good PP software its easily dealt with. I have been look at telephoto lenses lately and I have come to the conclusion that I will most likely get a Q series pentax that has a huge crop factor and pair it with a medium tele. It isnt the cheapest but it by far isnt the most expensive either. I just have to curb my LBA because there is tons of pentax stuff on craigslist here and there is a FA* 600 for sale that I want so bad I can taste it.

02-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
crop factor

I have never used GIMP but if it has color channel controls try and desaturate the magenta channel. Fringing is something we all have to deal with at times and with good PP software its easily dealt with. I have been look at telephoto lenses lately and I have come to the conclusion that I will most likely get a Q series pentax that has a huge crop factor and pair it with a medium tele. It isnt the cheapest but it by far isnt the most expensive either. I just have to curb my LBA because there is tons of pentax stuff on craigslist here and there is a FA* 600 for sale that I want so bad I can taste it.
Ahh, ok, yes GIMP has color channel control, I will try that! Thanks!

The crop factor is why I am looking at getting the K-30! I started with a Pentax MX in 35mm LONG ago. I have sooooo much pentax stuff, people say I'm nutz. I gotta dump a P3n, and a Ricoh KR-5 body!
The FA600 is way way way outta my reach, my Opteka 500 mirror works and the Rokinon does my really long stuff.

My favorites are the 18-55 kit I got with my *ist DL, the Tamron 28-200, and my Quantaray 100-300.
02-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Ahh, ok, yes GIMP has color channel control, I will try that! Thanks!

The crop factor is why I am looking at getting the K-30! I started with a Pentax MX in 35mm LONG ago. I have sooooo much pentax stuff, people say I'm nutz. I gotta dump a P3n, and a Ricoh KR-5 body!
The FA600 is way way way outta my reach, my Opteka 500 mirror works and the Rokinon does my really long stuff.

My favorites are the 18-55 kit I got with my *ist DL, the Tamron 28-200, and my Quantaray 100-300.

Its never crazy to have to much pentax stuff You would be happy with the k-30, its a rather large step up from the *ist
02-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
stepping

Its never crazy to have to much pentax stuff You would be happy with the k-30, its a rather large step up from the *ist
Oh, well I use the K-x now, I gave the *ist to my niece. :-)

I carry a Canon SX160 IS as a point and shoot nearly everywhere, 16 MP 16x optical zoom.
The 16 MP makes a huge difference even with the long zoom.
That is why I am going for the K-30, the 16 MP is cool! :-)

02-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well the K-x is far from a bad performer.
02-04-2014, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GIMP can work just fine for CA correction. Simplest way is to use hue-saturation. In your Flicker photo, the worst fringing was in the blue range. So I selected only the bird and twigs (with GIMP's "fuzzy select"), and lowered the saturation and lightness of the blues. This kept the lovely blue sky from losing its blue color. Then I used a little curves action to increase local contrast, and finally a little sharpening with GIMP's G'MIC filter. This was just a "quick and dirty" fix - some of the PP experts here at the forum could do a much better job. But it does prove that GIMP is quite capable of handling the corrections your great photo deserves!

Hope you don't mind me posting the results... Will be glad to delete this post and image if it does bother you.
Attached Images

02-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't mind at all! Your edit looks very good! Thanks!
02-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow the fringing looked purple on my work computer, shows what a terrible monitor I have at work
02-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow the fringing looked purple on my work computer, shows what a terrible monitor I have at work
It is purple, which is just a different shade of blue
02-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OnTheWeb Quote
It is purple, which is just a different shade of blue

Touche, LOL
02-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes, that is a pretty decent shot that is salvageable, as they demonstrated with some patience and software. I've always had a tough time with Flickers getting decent enough shot worthy of working on like yours.