Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
One's company two's a crowd...
Posted By: SCGushue, 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM

Shot with K10D, Sigma 100-300 f4 EX DG IF APO with a 1.4X converter. ISO 400. Focal length equals 420mm in reach and 630mm equivalent on the sensor.

First time I have done any personal shooting in five months. But on Saturday it was warm enough to think that some life may be stirring in the hills and ponds around here. In one of the lakes the turtles came out to warm up from winter's estivation. except for a rare break in the clouds it was heavily overcast but I caught a quick series where a sunning turtle had his perch invaded.

Stephen

Stephen C. Gushue's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Attached Images

Views: 3,901
04-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lol, great job Stephen and you always have a fun theme/name for your shots and it makes it that much better. I'm glad you've got weather cause my models are mad at me we with the weather we're having...
04-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
Igilligan

Stephen, I am so jealous of your turtle shots... I found a couple turtles the other day and had the 70-300 tamron and 1.4x. But I did not get the exposure right as it was noon and the sun was on the back side of the turtles...

These look great, and very sharp... This one is my fave
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/post-your-photos/10789d120814...0042-copy2.jpg

Although the one with the goose on the rock and the turtle staring him down is great.
04-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

that's an awesome series
the photos are super sharp!

04-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You get that sharp with Sigma and tele converter? great shots..
04-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Great series, beautiful shots and capture.
04-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the Turtle shots - hope the weather keeps warm for ya . Nice series.

04-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Lol, great job Stephen and you always have a fun theme/name for your shots and it makes it that much better. I'm glad you've got weather cause my models are mad at me we with the weather we're having...
Thanks Chris and good to hear from you. Saw your model series and it looks like you are embarking on a nice career. If it is cold and cloudy think about using a warming filter buried somewhere in the FN button.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Stephen, I am so jealous of your turtle shots... I found a couple turtles the other day and had the 70-300 tamron and 1.4x. But I did not get the exposure right as it was noon and the sun was on the back side of the turtles...

These look great, and very sharp... This one is my fave
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/post-your-photos/10789d120814...0042-copy2.jpg

Although the one with the goose on the rock and the turtle staring him down is great.
Gus,

Thanks, and that was my favorite too.

There are some tricks that you might consider about turtles and turtle shells, because almost invariably the shell will always blow out to some degree if they are sunning themselves on rocks or logs. First, though it makes photographing them harder due to ISO/shutter speed/f-stop reasons, try a polarizer. You might need a tripod for that as the shutter speed will drop by one to two splits.

In post processing you can highlight the shell and then reduce the highlights and increase the contrast. That will help even out the picture a little better.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
that's an awesome series
the photos are super sharp!
Appreciate the comments and feedback. Sharpness aided by the fact that turtles generally don't move too fast.

QuoteOriginally posted by silverelantra Quote
You get that sharp with Sigma and tele converter? great shots..
Well this is truly a fantastic lens by Sigma as are most of their EX series lenses. This is the first time that I used a dedicated Sigma EX APO 1.4 converter with it. It does knock the sharpness down a wee bit, but as you can see the images still remain quite sharp. And thanks.

Stephen
04-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Great series, beautiful shots and capture.
Thanks Scott. Well, nature provided the sujects and I just tried to muscle the lens to keep it steady. I have to admit that it was hard to keep it steady.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Love the Turtle shots - hope the weather keeps warm for ya . Nice series.

Well Dave, it was pretty dang cold here today and will be a little cool tomorrow, but the promise of warm weather and Spring is not too far off. Thanks!

Stephen
04-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Love the first two.

Stephen those first two are awesome..

You can almost read the his mind in the first shot... "ahhhh I love the sun, I love the sun, ahhhhh"..

Thanks for sharin.. Great pics!!

Kim
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice series, the ending picture is just wonderful! Thank you for sharing.
04-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice series. That turtle seems to have a bit of attitude.
04-16-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Stephen, very impressive photographs. The first shot is composed very well. The turtle was placed in an corner with a sigmoid curve leading to the left. The head of turtle facing up into the sky was revealing another direction to the sky. Colour is great with clarity.
04-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Stephen those first two are awesome..

You can almost read the his mind in the first shot... "ahhhh I love the sun, I love the sun, ahhhhh"..

Thanks for sharin.. Great pics!!

Kim
Kim,
I have to agree with you about the first shot. The turtle was about 40 feet away and I was observing him from the reeds for a long while. It was overcast 99% of the time, but when the sun came out for just a few seconds he responded with that pose.

The one advantage to that little bit of sun was that the exposure difference was at least two f-stops.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Nice series, the ending picture is just wonderful! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks... almost like the turtle is pondering why the goose has his head up his butt.

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Very nice series. That turtle seems to have a bit of attitude.
Appreciate your comments and I agree with the attitude part. Frankly, turtles are notoriously skittish and dive when approached by other creatures. I thought he was going to bolt before the goose emerge.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Stephen, very impressive photographs. The first shot is composed very well. The turtle was placed in an corner with a sigmoid curve leading to the left. The head of turtle facing up into the sky was revealing another direction to the sky. Colour is great with clarity.
Hi James,

Nice to hear from you and love the comments. I almost always do my composition through the viewfinder trying to balance out the images (as mundane as some topics can be.... like this one ) so that there is something to keep the eye moving even if there is little to see.

I have to admit too, to enjoying the Sigma 100-300/4 EX DG. Even with the 1.4X matched attached it seemed to do a good job with well controlled CA's, no PF, and quite good sharpness and contrast. Too bad Pentax does not make an excellent lens in this range.

Stephen
04-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Appreciate your comments and I agree with the attitude part. Frankly, turtles are notoriously skittish and dive when approached by other creatures. I thought he was going to bolt before the goose emerge.
Don't I know it. The turtles that reside at the small lake/pond/swamp where I go dive when ever I get within 50 yards.