Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Breaking the Law and Model Shoots...
Posted By: codiac2600, 04-13-2008, 10:04 PM

Wow, I've really stayed away from posting on the forum for a while and the reason being is that the paperwork I go through now running a business is just ridiculous. I'm sorry if I haven't commented on your posts lately, but I have been looking at all of them and enjoying every moment of it.

I've been booking two to three model shoots a week and a wedding for nearly every month of the year now and doing my own book keeping just plain sucks!

I've been pushing myself to keep my photos at a higher level after my shoot with Tamara (little red dress) and I've sat back and thought my shoots out more thoroughly.

Here is the latest shoot (got home 3 hours ago from it) and if you want to see the whole series check it out here: Photography 2.0 - Uconventional - Unrestriced - Unreal- powered by SmugMug

Oh... for reference here are the pics she had before she met me
ModelMayhem.com

There are so many great shots that you'll just have to check out my site for the rest. Enjoy and C&C is always welcome and appreciated!
Views: 2,029
04-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Inactive Account

These are world's above any of her previous shoots in her Model Mayhem profile. And, such, solid work from you! Love the lighting all around. The shots against the glass and very keen and I really dig that shot with the mirror.

I'll check out the rest of the gallery when I get a chance. Good to hear you're getting so busy! Your work is progressing so quickly!
04-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
These are world's above any of her previous shoots in her Model Mayhem profile. And, such, solid work from you! Love the lighting all around. The shots against the glass and very keen and I really dig that shot with the mirror.

I'll check out the rest of the gallery when I get a chance. Good to hear you're getting so busy! Your work is progressing so quickly!
Thanks Hamid and let me know what you think after you check the whole series out.
04-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #4

Great series Chris! Your photos are getting better and better! These are the type of shots that I want to be producing, but I'm kinda lacking on the creative side for shoots. This is something I need to develop.

I do have 2 questions for you,
1. In the last bunch on the site, did you have the flash placed rigth behind her with a green gel?
2. Are you shooting these stobist style?

I have been doing a lot of reading on thier site and from the lighting that your getting, this is what it reminds me of!

Great work once again!
Tim

04-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OttawaPhotog Quote
Great series Chris! Your photos are getting better and better! These are the type of shots that I want to be producing, but I'm kinda lacking on the creative side for shoots. This is something I need to develop.

I do have 2 questions for you,
1. In the last bunch on the site, did you have the flash placed rigth behind her with a green gel?
2. Are you shooting these stobist style?

I have been doing a lot of reading on thier site and from the lighting that your getting, this is what it reminds me of!

Great work once again!
Tim
Hey Tim,

I'm guessing you're talking about this shot and the others in the series:

You are almost correct about the light placement. It's actually underneath her and shot straight up. To figure it out watch the hot spots of the light on the wall. I also added a very green color gel, which I totally fell in love with after the first test shot.

Yes all the images I've shot in the entire series were strobist style with PockWizards tons of flashes and Bogen 5 section light stands. I used a variety of techniques and up to 4 lights in a single picture.

Now that I've had time to practice all winter in the home studio the creativeness is much easier as I do every shoot with the same mental process. I first find a cool spot to shoot and set her where I want. I then engineer the light to hit the subject but not hit areas the I don't want lit up (like the mirror). I then try to remove or add subject matter to the pics (like the red gel I added in the block glass windows and the red walls in the bathroom were all gelled lights).
04-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #6

Yes those are the shots I was talking about. After seeing your series on the waterdrops and the one that was inspired by you, I was looking at the pocket wizards but they are so damn expensive. I have 3 flashes now that I would be able to use for a setup like this, so I guess I should get out there and get some wireless triggers, and start shooting!!!!

Thanks for the keeping me going and wanting to improve my photography even more. I've even started a blog to keep me going on a regular basis.
04-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OttawaPhotog Quote
Yes those are the shots I was talking about. After seeing your series on the waterdrops and the one that was inspired by you, I was looking at the pocket wizards but they are so damn expensive. I have 3 flashes now that I would be able to use for a setup like this, so I guess I should get out there and get some wireless triggers, and start shooting!!!!

Thanks for the keeping me going and wanting to improve my photography even more. I've even started a blog to keep me going on a regular basis.
Yeah PockWizards are not the most cost effective route, but boy do they just work! The only time they don't work perfectly is during the cold, but nothing seems to work right in the cold so I cna't truly complain. If you want to get into wireless lighting try the gadget infinity triggers from ebay, they work and cost pennies compared to PWs.

I'm glad I can help motivate you and having a blog is a great way to self motivate ones self.

04-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm surprised that no one has asked how/why I broke the law in these shots... Hmmmmmmmmm
04-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chris, a top line set of shots. Professionalism is certainly showing through. Well done!
Regarding the "Breaking the Law" I did wonder, but then thought, maybe just a headliner to grab our attention. Well done again.
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Chris, a top line set of shots. Professionalism is certainly showing through. Well done!
Regarding the "Breaking the Law" I did wonder, but then thought, maybe just a headliner to grab our attention. Well done again.

Thanks Bruce and no it wasn't meant facetious in any way. On another forum people guessed it right away which surprised me.
04-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hope you dont mind, but I took the liberty of messing around with one of your shots. If this is out of line, let me know and I'll get rid of it. I've been getting ready for the senior photo season by going to seminars watching some dvd's, and just really trying to polish my Photoshop skills. I used a few techniques I've been messing around with lately on your shot. I'm assuming these are with the k20d? The resolution is almost too good for portraits. You may want to look into Nik color efex pro software. Its great for this type of shooting. I just did this really quick on cs3.
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Original

Last edited by reknelb; 05-18-2008 at 06:10 PM.
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
Hope you dont mind, but I took the liberty of messing around with one of your shots. If this is out of line, let me know and I'll get rid of it. I've been getting ready for the senior photo season by going to seminars watching some dvd's, and just really trying to polish my Photoshop skills. I used a few techniques I've been messing around with lately on your shot. I'm assuming these are with the k20d? The resolution is almost too good for portraits. You may want to look into Nik color efex pro software. Its great for this type of shooting. I just did this really quick on cs3.
It's cool, I don't mind seeing what other people can create with my photos.

Yeah the K20D paired with the 16-50 are just insane for resolution and detail.

I like the PP'ing you've done, but it's not my style. I love the grit and grime of reality and love to show it. Makes the mood more convincing IMO. If I were shooting senior stuff I would def PP more and I have a ton of quick actions I've created for skin smoothening and use them only when the model asks to have her face repaired. Natural beauty is hard to find and sometimes you need to look beyond the blemishes to find it.
04-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing you were shooting in a public restroom.... one of you was in the wrong side

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I'm surprised that no one has asked how/why I broke the law in these shots... Hmmmmmmmmm
04-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
I'm guessing you were shooting in a public restroom.... one of you was in the wrong side
You have part of it correct.

Now can you guess who was breaking the law?
04-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She was. Too gritty looking to be a womens WC. Great series Chris. I like every aspect of this with one small nit-pic. She has fairly light skin and the 2 shots above with the green shirt wash her out a bit. It's fine with the green gels but for some reason the shirt doesn't work.

Great stuff!

Ottawa,
I have a cheaper alternative. I attended a portrait shooting seminar a couple of weekends ago and they used FlashWaves Pro instead of pcket wizards. Solid and reliable. Used them for 2 straight days without one mis-fire. You can find them here; Booth Photographic and I think Henry's is going to carry them. But you could email Booth Photographic for info. Thy were about $269.99 in Halifax for a transmitter and 1 reciever.