Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
When there's nothing but snow around
Lens: Vivitar 90 f2.8 Camera: K5 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: MSL, 02-06-2014, 09:01 PM

I had hoped for blazing sunshine and no wind, and perhaps slightly less than brutal temperatures.

It was overcast, blowing snow and cold enough to drop the charge on my battery to closed to dead pretty quick. So I didn't get to try as many experiments as I wanted to.

But with snowbanks on our street approaching 4 feet high, I figured the only way to have less snow was to look at it using a macro lens.

Pretty close to 1:1 - hard to get the focus at minimum distance. Too darn cold to keep adjusting the tripod. Likely f8 or f11.

Views: 1,452
02-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

Here is what I use on my tripod, it saves A LOT of moving the tripod for macro. Amazon.com: Fotodiox Macro Focusing Rail for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus DSLRs: Camera & Photo
02-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

The best I have been able to do so far. One of the photos (JPF0826A) I was taking a photo of a beautiful snow flake until the monster crashed into it at the same exact time as the photo was taken. You can see tiny pieces of the original snow flake flying away from the explosion. hahaha
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know how you can survive outside in temps/winds like that. not sure how you could even focus Marc, nice shot though.

02-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfuqua11 Quote
Here is what I use on my tripod, it saves A LOT of moving the tripod for macro. Amazon.com: Fotodiox Macro Focusing Rail for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus DSLRs: Camera & Photo
A focusing rail is a high priority for my shopping list. Just trying to figure out how much I want or need to spend to get something that will lock tight. Thanks for the suggestion and for posting your own success.

---------- Post added 02-06-14 at 11:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I don't know how you can survive outside in temps/winds like that. not sure how you could even focus Marc, nice shot though.
The wind wasn't too bad today, but any wind is a pain when you shoot macro, especially when you get close to 1:1. This shot was taken in a partly sheltered area so it wasn't too bad, and I'm hoping the wood grains compensate for not getting in even closer on the snow flakes. As much as I think everyone in the city would like to see less snow, I'm hoping we don't get a sudden thaw towards spring as I don't know if the city will cope with that much water at once. We get these sorts of winters every 7-8 years, sometimes back to back and then a few mild ones. You kind of get used to it, and you don't complain too much or else you start to hear snickers from folks living in Montreal, Edmonton, or Winnipeg (affectionately known as Winterpeg). Thanks for stopping by.
02-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful photo and nice depth of field
02-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

unique property of water is that it becomes lighter than it was. wonderful snowflakes

02-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Beautiful shot, way to make the best out of poor conditions!
02-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey, MSL - I admire both your tenacity and how you created a compelling photograph under the conditions you described. I like the delicacy of the crystals along with the selective focus.

Jer
02-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I admire anyone who goes outside when the temp falls below 50F. OK, I am a wuss and shrivel up when it gets cold. Nice shot of the ice though. So many formations to look at in a single shot.
02-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the kind comments. I really didn't think that much of the picture, other than that it was one of maybe two that worked out from the limited number of photos I managed to take.
02-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

Hey there! Nice job =) If you are interested in some input for Macro/Snowflake shots maybe I can help.

02-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisionaryDaydreaming Quote
Hey there! Nice job =) If you are interested in some input for Macro/Snowflake shots maybe I can help.
Always interested in input as well as lenses/settings etc others use when making images. Please share
02-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Always interested in input as well as lenses/settings etc others use when making images. Please share
I've used a K01 with the standard Kit lens 18-55 WR but in retro mode so that I could make these extreme-macros. I've used the built-in flash with 800 to 1600 ISO, aperture manual opend and closed per hand at the backside of the lens. I only could focus by moving the camera back and forth so you need quiet calm hands for this kind of shots but with a bit of practice, luck and passion you are able to capture stunning shots without a macro lens and even better magnification. I've shot from 1/30 up to 1/160 depending on the light situation.
02-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

That first shot Marc reminds me of one that I took last year.Let's see if I can find it.A nice series there.--charliezap