Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ancient tree, spaceage light
Lens: Pentax M 50mm f1.7 Camera: Pentax K-01 Photo Location: Ljubljana ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/2s 
Posted By: Na Horuk, 02-08-2014, 05:33 PM

Hope to get some thoughts on this one. Its an inspired shot, not planned out at all. I like the contrast between the old city, ancient stone by the river canal. I used a crosshatch filter in front of the lens which caused the starbursts to take on the form of perpendicular rainbows. I didn't use a tripod for this one, the square shape of the K-01 allows me to just place it on any platform, like a fence or bench. Brick has its uses!

Tree by the river (exif data, info, and bigger version available here)
Views: 672
02-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, nice shot! I too like the contrast between the ancient building and the modern looking rainbows. Great work.
02-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you add the bursts or was that how it was captured?
02-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I used to have some glasses that I got from a science museum as a kid that made that rainbow affect from lights. Cool shots

02-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What an interesting technique. I like it a lot. You will have lots of fun with it.
02-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can I be a dissenting voice? Nice effect but the blown out spots on the bottom left bother me too much. Not sure if a crop to the top of the wall (whilst keeping the aspect ratio) would work or be to harsh, but might be worth a try?
02-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Wow, nice shot! I too like the contrast between the ancient building and the modern looking rainbows. Great work.
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I used to have some glasses that I got from a science museum as a kid that made that rainbow affect from lights. Cool shots
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
What an interesting technique. I like it a lot. You will have lots of fun with it.
Thank you very much for the kind words!

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Did you add the bursts or was that how it was captured?
That is how it was captured - I put a crosshatch filter on the lens that causes this effect. I don't think this could be done in processing. Maybe you can come close, but it won't look as "natural"
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Can I be a dissenting voice? Nice effect but the blown out spots on the bottom left bother me too much. Not sure if a crop to the top of the wall (whilst keeping the aspect ratio) would work or be to harsh, but might be worth a try?
Thanks for the critique, its a valid point. The problem was that I didn't have a lens hood or tripod, so I was limited to that spot. I like that the bottom light with its burst "frames" the photo, but it is a little too strong. I might try to process it and darken that corner a little

02-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Is there a river Ljubljanica, I suppose?

If so, then the tree - a willow, I guess
02-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes! It is river Ljubljanica, and the city is named after it - Ljubljana. (For the English speakers, the J is pronounced softly, as Y)
Not many people know it