Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
House Renovations Next Door
Lens: 18-135mm DA Camera: K-30 
Posted By: ausmoose, 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM

The house next door is doing a strip down and refurbish and progress is moving along very quickly. They expect to have the whole project done within 5 weeks! So a couple nights ago I decided to pop around the side to see what all was going on before the place became unrecognisable Took quite a few photos while I was there - although lots of the action is happening right outside our windows!

1 - They've been tearing away all the windows and have actually been moving many of them - thankfully - we had many views right through their windows which proved awkward from time to time

2 - For this shot I decided to put the corner of the room in the centre - another perspective of what 'rule of thirds' means?

3 - I find the structural integrity of the new rooms quite fascinating - I've never seen a place mid-build like this before - gives some great DOF opportunities

4 - Now this is an interesting area. This used to be a place another family would rent out for a cheap price - and there was a reason for this. Speaking with some of the previous renters here, I learnt that there were constantly rats crawling around - even in their hair at night! This place was also full of mould and fungus and seemed to breed disease. There's a reason the new owners are gutting the place! (I actually don't know why they're not rebuilding)

5 - I liked this shot for some reason. Although the sky is quite hideously white, the sun was coming nicely through the holes in the wall as it was setting.

6 - Here's the step ladder the builders are constantly using. They removed the roof the other day and added a new one almost immediately.

7 - The wooden structures again.

8 - And again. Looks like the widest feature of my 18-135mm makes the straight wood look a bit curved.

9 - This hose was dripping my entire 'visit', although their water has been turned off and they've had to borrow ours. Wonder if it's been like this for the entire renovation?

10 - Down the side of the house. I didn't venture past the step ladder as it was here where everything started to get majorly cluttered and perhaps dangerous.

11 - More of the wooden structure. I like all the lines your eye can follow in this shot.

12 - The mass of garbage and junk from the renos...

13 - Here it was interesting because with all the stripping they've done you'd actually be able to be standing in the property of the house two doors down from ours an look at our brick wall!

14 - The structures again - building a new room.

15 - The garbage with the setting sun - looks like I was at a dump!

16 - Another ladder pic..

17 - Their old roof - or what remains of it.

18 - Love experimenting with DOF in objects like ladders..

19 - The narrow space between our two houses - the action comes real close! One time they were working on the roof - we open the shutters and they're sitting there hammering - literally 1m away!!

20 - The bin full of trash.

Hope you like the shots and get a feel for what's happening next door! Please post any constructive criticism so I can improve my style.
Views: 850
02-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting series to view, you got some great angles and also use of focus is well done. I bet the owners would like a copy of your photos one day.
02-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Interesting series to view, you got some great angles and also use of focus is well done. I bet the owners would like a copy of your photos one day.
Thanks Bob. Not sure they'd want a copy - then they'd know I'd been sneaking into their house!
02-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remind me not to renovate if the house looks like that in the interim.

02-09-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I always wish to do this before and after type of shots of projects, but never remember 'till in it's the after category.
02-09-2014, 03:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I always wish to do this before and after type of shots of projects, but never remember 'till in it's the after category.
Definitely the same here. You take the after photo, assuming you've got a before photo SOMEWHERE (after all you've lived there for years) and suddenly you realise there is none
02-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wow, that looks like a huge project! Pic #15 is great.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hope you are sharing these with the owners. They will love having a record.
02-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Give us a new lodge!

I would help, I can hammer nails.