Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K2 and Everest
Posted By: 8540tomg, 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM

I haven’t been taking a lot of pictures of late. Been rather busy this winter shoveling out from some pretty heavy snowfall this winter in Waterloo. I doubt if it is a record for the area but in the 14 years I’ve lived in the house I don’t recall ever shoveling this much snow. If this keeps up I may have to get a snow blower. Backing out of the drive has become a bit of an adventure. K2, as I like to refer to it, on the right is over 8 feet now with Everest on the left nearly as high. I’m running out of places to toss the stuff. I don’t know how you compare one man’s misery to another but I was rather amused when a few inches of snow paralyzed Atlanta a week or so ago.

Tom G

Attached Images

Views: 1,671
02-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

We get the same load of snow in Winterpeg, but on top of that we have -25 to -38 below....non stop it seems since early December.

I broke down and got a snow blower 18 years ago.

Get at least a 5 hp/24 inch dual stage blower. I can tell you...it's worth it !

02-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That is too much snow for humans. You have to remember that we in the south do not have sandpiles, machines that clear roads, or snowshovels for that matter. To make it that much worse, we don't know how to handle a car in the white stuff. It is all relative.
True enough Sue.

I wasn't making light of the situation. We have plows, salt and sand piles and all the gear to clear snow away but it has still been a struggle this Winter. For what its worth driving in the snow is pretty simple if you slow down.

Tom G

---------- Post added 02-09-2014 at 03:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We get the same load of snow in Winterpeg, but on top of that we have -25 to -38 below....non stop it seems since early December.

I broke down and got a snow blower 18 years ago.

Get at least a 5 hp/24 inch dual stage blower. I can tell you...it's worth it !
I moved from Portage la Praire in 1999 to get away from that stuff.

As you can see it folowed me south this year. As for the snow blower Ill check them out next week.

Tom G
02-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
True enough Sue.

I wasn't making light of the situation. We have plows, salt and sand piles and all the gear to clear snow away but it has still been a struggle this Winter. For what its worth driving in the snow is pretty simple if you slow down.

Tom G
Tell that to someone from Atlanta Tom. They no not how to slow down.
I knew you weren't making light of the situation. I will keep a light on in the living room window for you so you will have a place to light if it snows again.
02-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Sue,

I'll be looking for it. They don't slow down around here either although they know better.

Tom G

02-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I can't say I feel your pain, since I've never been in this situation before. I do feel sorry for you, though!

I was living in Atlanta when about two inches fell in January of 2011, and the temperature refused to let it melt for a whole week. The DOT did what they could, which wasn't much, then put up signs telling people to "postpone all travel." Basically, "We give up, stay home!" I was at college, and it was like a party all week long.
02-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #21
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
30 ft snow banks eh? I'd be more impressed if they had made them with a shovel like mine.
It is a shovel like yours, just a weeee bit bigger and attached to a Caterpillar or the like
02-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I am not sure I will complain about weather again.

02-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
can't say I feel your pain, since I've never been in this situation before. I do feel sorry for you, though! I was living in Atlanta when about two inches fell in January of 2011, and the temperature refused to let it melt for a whole week. The DOT did what they could, which wasn't much, then put up signs telling people to "postpone all travel." Basically, "We give up, stay home!" I was at college, and it was like a party all week long.
I spent a few years living in Maryland, not far from DC. If 1/4 to 1/2 inch of snow fell, the county declared a snow day. Where we were, we all thought the decision was nuts as the roads were easily drivable. It was explained to me that the bigger problem was the northern part of the county which was mostly farm country and where most of the kids were bussed to school. So a combination of not having the right equipment and the making of decisions on too large an area at once made for some odd results.
02-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
MSL

Sounds like my undergraduate days at UWO in London ON. On snow days we could never make it to class but we could always make it to the bar.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 02-09-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo
02-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I moved from Portage la Praire in 1999 to get away from that stuff.

As you can see it folowed me south this year. My wife lived in PLAP for awhile. I was in PLAP on Friday...don't think you would notice much change.As for the snow blower Ill check them out next week.

Tom G
We have a basic MTD with the 5 hp Tecumseh/ 24 inch wide, locking axle, 5 speeds forward, two reverse...as you can imagine it has had hard use in Winnipeg over the past almost 20 years. Been very reliable.
02-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We have a basic MTD with the 5 hp Tecumseh/ 24 inch wide, locking axle, 5 speeds forward, two reverse...as you can imagine it has had hard use in Winnipeg over the past almost 20 years. Been very reliable.
Thanks for the tip lesmore.

I've got 150 feet of sidewalk and a longish double driveway to deal with.

Tom G
02-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Tom, reminds of how our house looked when we lived in Ohio in the late '70s; after we moved to Michigan, I broke down and got a snowblower. Anyway, I feel your pain. Consequently, I won't mention our bike ride this afternoon, followed by a spin in the roadster with top down .

Jer
02-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, Tom, reminds of how our house looked when we lived in Ohio in the late '70s; after we moved to Michigan, I broke down and got a snowblower. Anyway, I feel your pain. Consequently, I won't mention our bike ride this afternoon, followed by a spin in the roadster with top down .

Jer
Thanks Jer,

I'd better get one before I break down. Glad you left out a little trip around the bay in your sailboat.

Tom G
02-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took the title to be the K2 DMD taking a shot of Mt. Everest. I guess I guessed wrong. We don't have the mountains of snow here this year, the District of Sparwood is experimenting with clearing out the driveway berms. I'm waiting for spring in the sincere hope that the front end loader missed the lawn. He bit out two big chunks last Year. The good side is that I am still on my first jerry can of gasoline for the blower this year.
02-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Crikey! And here I am complaining that it's too hot to go and work in the garage! (38 deg C yesterday.)

Still, it beats living with that white stuff. At least I don't need to put on shoes, socks, shirt, jumper, jacket, scarf, gloves, etc. to go outside for breakfast.
As long as you put on something.......for your neighbors sake!