Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K2 and Everest
Lens: DA* 16~50/2.8 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Waterloo ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: 8540tomg, 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM

I haven’t been taking a lot of pictures of late. Been rather busy this winter shoveling out from some pretty heavy snowfall this winter in Waterloo. I doubt if it is a record for the area but in the 14 years I’ve lived in the house I don’t recall ever shoveling this much snow. If this keeps up I may have to get a snow blower. Backing out of the drive has become a bit of an adventure. K2, as I like to refer to it, on the right is over 8 feet now with Everest on the left nearly as high. I’m running out of places to toss the stuff. I don’t know how you compare one man’s misery to another but I was rather amused when a few inches of snow paralyzed Atlanta a week or so ago.

Tom G

Attached Images

Views: 1,677
02-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry be happy.
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......
good.
02-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Closed Account

yep, a snow blower is in your future
nice photo of all that snow!
02-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

damn Tom, you need a couple weeks of warm weather, that's crazy.

02-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Actually, I hope not. I'm somewhat terrified of the idea of some warm weather mixed with rain melting all the snow in a hurry. Drainage system won't cope.

Tom - Great title. I really need to get to the local mall where the snow piles in the parking lot must be close to 30 ft high (no joke)
02-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
K2 and Everest
I can't remember snow that deep here at the house since the early 80's, aye still get the odd drifts like that in exposed areas.
02-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sharing your Polar Vortices in St. Louis but we get a day or two of melt every now and then, so our mountains are merely . . . . . hills.

Thankfully I didn't renew my driveway plow contract this year after the fellow attempted to charge me $200 for two bags of 'NaCl,' as if using the chemical name for table salt made it more valuable than mere rock salt in a bag. He became a mite incensed when I wrote a check for $100, adding a note saying I was withholding the balance pending delivery of the two bags of C17H19NO3.

Neighbors say they're already over $2000 in plow charges and it isn't even Feb. 15th yet. Shovels are cheap.

02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
yep, a snow blower is in your future
nice photo of all that snow!
Thanks Mike,

My back agrees with you. Actually, the photo isn't as sharp as I would like as it was lightly snowing at the time i took it.

Tom G

---------- Post added 02-09-2014 at 03:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Actually, I hope not. I'm somewhat terrified of the idea of some warm weather mixed with rain melting all the snow in a hurry. Drainage system won't cope.

Tom - Great title. I really need to get to the local mall where the snow piles in the parking lot must be close to 30 ft high (no joke)
Thanks Bob/MSL

30 ft snow banks eh? I'd be more impressed if they had made them with a shovel like mine.

Tom G

---------- Post added 02-09-2014 at 03:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I can't remember snow that deep here at the house since the early 80's, aye still get the odd drifts like that in exposed areas.
Thanks for looking Kerrowdown

I wish I could say these were the highest banks I've ever been aquainted with. While in Manitoba in the 1990's we had massive snow one winter. As it seldom warms up enough for things to melt before March the stuff kept piling up and drifting. I lived in a bingalo at the time and the snow was up to the eves. We had to dig ourselves out of the house at one point. There was a massive flood later that spring. I'll have to see if I can find some old shots of that one.

Tom G
02-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

K2!? You're lucky to already get the successor model to the K-3
02-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sharing your Polar Vortices in St. Louis but we get a day or two of melt every now and then, so our mountains are merely . . . . . hills.

Thankfully I didn't renew my driveway plow contract this year after the fellow attempted to charge me $200 for two bags of 'NaCl,' as if using the chemical name for table salt made it more valuable than mere rock salt in a bag. He became a mite incensed when I wrote a check for $100, adding a note saying I was withholding the balance pending delivery of the two bags of C17H19NO3.

Neighbors say they're already over $2000 in plow charges and it isn't even Feb. 15th yet. Shovels are cheap.
I share your pain Monochrome. We usually get more melt off during the winter but not for the last month or so. Since Jan. if it snowed it's still with us.

Salt was in short supply here for a while as well but wasn't fetching a $100 yet alone $200. True shovels are cheap but they can have other costs associated with them. I heard on the news the other day three local men died shoveling in Hamilton last week. That snow blower is looking better all time.

Tom G
02-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I'll have to see if I can find some old shots of that one.
Aye but don't post them 'til mid Summer, when we all need cooling down a bit.
02-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Actually Bob I need a vacation.

Tom G
02-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Crikey! And here I am complaining that it's too hot to go and work in the garage! (38 deg C yesterday.)

Still, it beats living with that white stuff. At least I don't need to put on shoes, socks, shirt, jumper, jacket, scarf, gloves, etc. to go outside for breakfast.
02-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That is too much snow for humans. You have to remember that we in the south do not have sandpiles, machines that clear roads, or snowshovels for that matter. To make it that much worse, we don't know how to handle a car in the white stuff. It is all relative.
02-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Crikey! And here I am complaining that it's too hot to go and work in the garage! (38 deg C yesterday.)

Still, it beats living with that white stuff. At least I don't need to put on shoes, socks, shirt, jumper, jacket, scarf, gloves, etc. to go outside for breakfast.
Strange as it may seem I prefer the cold and snow to extreme heat and humidity.

You can dress for the cold but you can only get so naked to deal with the heat.

Something in the 22 deg C suits me just fine.

Tom G