Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
(S)NO(W) Parking here
Lens: 18-55 WR Camera: K5 ISO: 100 
Posted By: MSL, 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Inspired by 8540tomg (despite his lack of interest in machine made snow piles) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/251160-landscape-k2-everest.html , I took a little detour to capture the local mountains.

It was snowing and grey, so lousy conditions for photos. But you can see what happened to parts of the parking lot which are quite clearly no parking zones right now. When the weather warms up, these will be some of the last areas to clear out.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by MSL; 02-09-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Views: 1,409
02-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The first image was made by a "manly" snow blower.

Not one of those wee walk behind jobbies.
02-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you sure they haven't lost a few cars under there?
02-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can keep that snow! It looks far to cold for me!

02-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Are you sure they haven't lost a few cars under there?
No, I'm not sure. There typically isn't overnight street parking or mall parking, especially in the snowy season. But cars are often left on the street at the wrong hours and can easily get plowed in or plowed over. Last week the bigger hazard was avoiding garbage cans and the like that had been scooped up by the plows and deposited at random on the roads.
02-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The first image was made by a "manly" snow blower.

Not one of those wee walk behind jobbies.
Tim the Tool Man would have a Farmall tractor belted to his snow blower. That would be a "manly" tool.
02-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Let's install a tow line and rent it out for skiing.

Tom G

02-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK. I'll stop complaining now.
02-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OK. I'll stop complaining now.
Here in Canada we celebrate this stuff Monochrome. It's no accident that hockey is our national sport.

The rest of the smart people moved South long ago.

Tom G
02-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boy, do these "parking lot piles" remind me of our days in Michigan! Those things can start to look pretty dingy after a while, and they tended to last for what seemed like months. We've been complaining about a gray, "cold" winter this year in our area; your shots put things back in perspective.

Jer
02-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

between you and Tom that is the most snow I have ever seen in my life, reminds me why I stay south, way south.
02-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
between you and Tom that is the most snow I have ever seen in my life, reminds me why I stay south, way south.
The remaining snow piles in May are called "sneaky snow" up here. Glaciers begin with unmelted snow. Parking lot piles usually remain for,a very, very long time. Good luck, and may the golf courses open in March!
02-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Except I've experienced exiting an over air conditioned van onto black pavement in Atlanta in August with the feeling of my leg hairs being singed off. Call it upbringing, but I'd rather freeze that fry. At least I have the option of putting on layers to warm up, but when it is really hot and there's no A/C, you roast.

On the flip side, a couple of years ago we had a really early thaw and unusually warm late winter. It was warm enough that most of the apple trees started to bud, and then when the end of winter freeze hit, it killed off most of the crop. I guess the best to hope for is for everything to happen in the right time and place.
02-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Except I've experienced exiting an over air conditioned van onto black pavement in Atlanta in August with the feeling of my leg hairs being singed off. Call it upbringing, but I'd rather freeze that fry. At least I have the option of putting on layers to warm up, but when it is really hot and there's no A/C, you roast.
I lived in Georgia for twenty years, and I never got used to the wet heat there. Then, I moved to Arizona. It's hotter, sure, but at least sweating actually works. I was amazed at how quickly I got used to it. I rode my bike to and from work all summer last year, even when it was 118°. I like it a lot better than 90° and humid. Just don't forget the water.
02-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I lived in Georgia for twenty years, and I never got used to the wet heat there. Then, I moved to Arizona. It's hotter, sure, but at least sweating actually works. I was amazed at how quickly I got used to it. I rode my bike to and from work all summer last year, even when it was 118°. I like it a lot better than 90° and humid. Just don't forget the water.
People kid about Arizona being a dry heat, but it does make a huge difference. I had the opposite experience - spent 5 weeks in Israel through much of a heat wave. Came back to Toronto also still pretty hot. Main difference was I wasn't sweating away all that extra water I was drinking, and, well, had to interrupt my walk downtown every half hour or so.