Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Abusive Conditions at the Houston Aquarium
Lens: DA 16-45 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Houston Aquarium ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: mikemike, 02-10-2014, 12:05 AM

For some reason the aquarium in Houston has a pair of white tigers. I was disgusted by the exhibit they keep them in, it is a space about the size of a large living room or den with all hard surfaces, no grass, and no sunlight. I strongly advise against supporting a place like this.

Name:  IMGP1363.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  312.4 KB

Views: 2,084
02-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its an aquarium, why on earth would they have tigers?
02-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Because they are Never mind I don't wanna swear
02-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Aren't there regulations in America that enforce how you can keep such animals?

02-10-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Before we are too quick to judge, perhaps an inquiry to the aquarium about the tigers would be in order.
For instance I recall there was a vegas show that featured white tigers, and one of the guys got mauled, is it possible that these tigers were a rescue from a similar situation, and they are on display in the only area available at this time? If they were a rescue, then it is likely the aquarium was the only place willing to take them, and the alternative was euthanasia. They may be being held only temporarily while a better area is being readied, or another facility prepares an adequate area.
Then again, perhaps the aquarium deserves to be smacked for willfully displaying animals in cramped inadequate areas merely for profit.

The point is that if you have not asked the right people the right questions, all you have is assumptions without any evidence.
02-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photographic evidence of tigers laying on tile floors with no natural light or natural surfaces is enough for me. Exactly what answers would make this ok?
02-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
Photographic evidence of tigers laying on tile floors with no natural light or natural surfaces is enough for me. Exactly what answers would make this ok?
For me, to discover that in this circumstance, the only alternative available was to kill the tigers and display the pelts, I would say this is better.

---------- Post added 02-10-14 at 00:11 ----------

This is a very nice photo in lighting and composition!!
Just wanted to add that!

02-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great shot, but poor tigers.. and I thought that the well thought out zoo enclosures were bad enough
02-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

45 Mike --- These came from a captive breeding program... there are now 4 of them. And it is really a restaurant with some fish tanks on display and this tiger exhibit in the center...

02-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice photo.
FYI - they've been there for 10 years. Downtown restaurant adds tiger display - Houston Chronicle
02-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am thoroughly disgusted that wild creatures can be abused like this for private gain.
02-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Its an aquarium, why on earth would they have tigers?
I don't know, but I wasn't that impressed with the rest of their collection of fish either. The only thing they had that was nice was their shark tank.

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Aren't there regulations in America that enforce how you can keep such animals?
You would think so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
45 Mike --- These came from a captive breeding program... there are now 4 of them. And it is really a restaurant with some fish tanks on display and this tiger exhibit in the center...
Yeah it is owned by Landry's and it is located right downtown by an interstate so even if they did take the tigers out to some green space it would be a very noisy and hectic urban environment.
02-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot of the tiger. I too would like to know a bit more before condemning them outright. They seem to be affiliated with quite a few conservation organizations.
02-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think stuff like this isn't even uncommon.
I agree that a) more research should be done before judging, but also b) what we see right now suggests that conditions are not super.
So, who is responsible for things like that over there?

Edit: But hey, its a great photo opportunity, the cage fits the tigers' esthetic
02-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The Aquarium in Denver was taken over by Landry's after a bankruptcy a few years back. I never went before they owned it, but apparently they removed some of the educational stuff to make more room for their restaurant, etc. (Of course, to be fair the old place *was* bankrupt so it did need to bring in more.) And they also have tigers at the end of the exhibit, which was a complete surprise. I think it was a bit more natural, but still totally indoors. What their entire living space is like when not on display I have no idea.