Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Need advice for local contest on this two images
Camera: pentax k-30 
Posted By: carlosodze, 02-10-2014, 03:35 PM

Those are the only ones i took in the place that i find "acceptable", i am sort of new in photography and i dedicate most of my time to macro so i am sure you guys have tons of advices. (any kind of advice is well taken)

I have to present both of them on february 17.

Thanks a lot
Views: 1,225
02-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think both of these are terrific photos, but the first one had more drama and impact - I remarkable shot, in my view.

Jer
02-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um, these are excellent and excellent. I think the more appropriate question is what can you teach me
02-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Both really good...
Not sure if the fence line in #2 is tricking me, but I don't think the horizon in #2 is level?
Cheers
Dean

02-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Need advice for local contest on this two images
IMHO the first is a far stronger image, more dynamic viewpoint, more going on with the waves and a bit of wildlife on the lower third.
02-10-2014, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I would agree that the first is the better of the two, The second one tends to pull me to the right, as well as the horizon is dipping to the right a little. The first one is absolutely fantastic.
02-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

2 good photos. If you want to play around with processing, maybe adjust levels in #1 to make the whites brighter, so the bird is more visible. That might ruin the feel of the photo but only takes a minute to test and undo.

02-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Image #1 is outstanding--I agree with the previous poster about trying to highlight the heron a bit more...ironically
there's so much inherent drama in the frame (a big wave about to pile into a small space) that I think it would be easy to "lose" the heron. My initial thought would be to play around with neutral density gradients in that corner of the frame, but there are many more post-processing gurus on this board who can give you much more useful advice...
02-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

My only advice is to be ready to go regional

Those are awesome and they will be even better with the advice here.
02-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks a lot for the nice comments, i will take into consideration your advices ( i will definitely correct the horizon).
thanks again
02-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #11

I like the first one of the 2. Amazing shot!
02-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

the sea excites me
good
02-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both have great potential. I agree with #2 not being level and the post on the far left is chopped down the middle, so a crop and straighten would be advisable. #1 is a great shot full of interest. A bit on the dull side perhaps as others have already mentioned.

Is there a theme for your contest? This could influence your final decision.
02-11-2014, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

My pick would be No.1

Not sure if I should write this because I do not wish to upset you. However without trying to sound obnoxious, there are a few things I do not like with this shot and as always it is my honest opinion. You will find the judges, if they know their business, will pick you up on a few shortcomings.

1) I do not like the longish exposure you chose to take the picture. Here is why. Long exposures make moving water look smooth. Now this might be a good thing if a calming affect is desired. But here you do not want this, what you want is to give the viewer an impression of some strong and wild movement. The wave which is just about to roll in to hit the rocks does not look menacing enough and the leftover of the previous wave still swirling around in the foreground has lost some, if not all, of its dynamics.

2) The photo looks flat and somewhat dull. Now this may well be the result of a lot of misty salt spray in the air but there should be no reason to get a better result with proper camera settings. But at the very least some PP can rescue something. For example there is quite a bit of green vegetation on the rocks on the left side. To bring this out and make it visible will do the pic some good as will be an increase in contrast and brightening of the highlights in the picture.

3) The setting sun and the sky at the horizon looks a bit wishy washy, now it may well have been but it does not make for a powerful image, so a slight correction in PP can help a little bit also.

Judges receive a lot of photographs and they need to sort out the ones for further consideration in an initial viewing and your picture needs to be such as to instill an immediate reaction in them. Stop them in their tracks so to say when they see your photograph.

I have done a few quick changes to the photo (which can never be optimal with a JPG) just to visually show what I mean.

I wish you the best of luck.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:22 PM.
02-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I too like the first one the best and I think Schraubstock has given you better advice than I could. Good look with the contest.