Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Stopping Zombies With the DA 18-55mm
Lens: DA 18-55 WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Denver, Colorado, USA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: rbefly, 02-11-2014, 04:14 AM

Zombies? I ain't skeered! Some's kinda cute even, in a messy sorta way.
Last October, the ZombieFest downtown was a huge success. I don't know the attendance figures, but it did slow the traffic, cars lanes were virtually stopped and photo ops were everywhere. Anyone that didn't have a costume and makeup on, had a camera.
Mine was a classic K-5, a new acquisition the DA 18-55mm II WR, and a sputtering AF 360 FTZ. Sputtering because I ran a new set of AA's out and nearly depleted a second set. Long recharges and missed fill-light was the order of the day.
Anyway, here's five from 10/19/2013. The last photo is fuzzy, I know. 1/25s, in the shade, the flash didn't pop. Sigh. But the acting! Sign the kid on the right!
LOL,
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,534
02-11-2014, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A good & fun series.......................
02-11-2014, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nor good, nor fun.

but excellent, superb!
02-11-2014, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Never seen zombies looking so happy or uninterested in eating the photographer. Does look like a fun day out and keeping most of these in B&W makes sense.

02-11-2014, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great series, Ron. Giggling zombies - something I thought I'd never see.

Jer
02-11-2014, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Those are some of the cutest zombies I have ever seen. That must have been a blast to photograph. Great record of the day.
02-11-2014, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Looks like it was your lucky day, either that or we now have a zombie member of pentaxforums. Were you infected? Nice shots!

02-11-2014, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

A "charming?" series Ron.--charliezap
02-11-2014, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fun to view Ron, finally some zombies I can smile at.
02-11-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Real zombies are never that good looking.

Well at least the ones around here aren't.
02-11-2014, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Closed Account

Nice batch of photos!
Just remember, Zombies move slow but they never stop walking in your direction !
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, Everyone!

My thanks and appreciation to em, zztopd, MSL, Jer, Susan, j2photos, Charliezap, Bob, Kerrowdown + Michael for the kind comments!
Great fun, no bites, took too many photos and had a good time. For some reason I avoided the staged, showy or overly-stylized crowd and found families and friends. Virtually everyone I asked for a photo, agreed without hesitation. The kids smiled instead of looking fierce, nobody made clawing motions towards the camera or gruesome faces. I guess you could call it ' Zombie Family Day'.
I believe people react unconsciously to the attitude of the photographer. I didn't ask for a spectacle, so they didn't give me one.
They didn't even growl!
Ron
02-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Great fun, no bites, took too many photos and had a good time. For some reason I avoided the staged, showy or overly-stylized crowd and found families and friends. Virtually everyone I asked for a photo, agreed without hesitation. The kids smiled instead of looking fierce, nobody made clawing motions towards the camera or gruesome faces. I guess you could call it ' Zombie Family Day'. I believe people react unconsciously to the attitude of the photographer. I didn't ask for a spectacle, so they didn't give me one. They didn't even growl! Ron
But did anyone ask you for a copy of their image for their facebook page? Or for a seasons greeting card?

You mention burning through batteries on the flash - since you were shooting with a K5, why not kick up the iso and go without flash when you were fighting strong shadows?
02-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
ISO Bump?

Hi MSL,
You're right, ISO is usually the last (or, never) changed setting for me. Old-school film habits, base ISO; Unless a bump to 1600 becomes necessary.
And I have the hardest time remembering to use anything in between, especially when I'm fiddling with a flash. But I could have saved battery juice if I'd been thinking and planning better. All I can say was it seemed like a whirlwind and I hung on.
Nobody asked for copies or my facebook page, but many wanted to view the LCD version, so I obliged, scrolling closeups and enlargements. They seemed happy with the results, then went on their way.
Mostly I went for the posed, semi-candid portraits and a lighter side of the occasion. It worked pretty well here, overall I'm happy and willing to try again.
Ron
02-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #15
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi MSL, You're right, ISO is usually the last (or, never) changed setting for me. Old-school film habits, base ISO; Unless a bump to 1600 becomes necessary. And I have the hardest time remembering to use anything in between, especially when I'm fiddling with a flash. But I could have saved battery juice if I'd been thinking and planning better. All I can say was it seemed like a whirlwind and I hung on.
For what its worth, I also fixate at ISO 100 and only when I need to go to TAv mode to preserve shutter speed in low light do I vary much.