Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Anybody else create their own Valentine's Day cards?
Camera: Pentax K-30 
Posted By: Edgar_in_Indy, 02-11-2014, 11:14 AM

I just finished up my two daughter's Valentine's Day cards last night, and it made me wonder if there are other people on here that also make their kids' Valentine's Day cards from scratch (without using any kind of pre-fab template).

I create my cards in Photoshop, either starting with a blank 4x6" canvas, or by using one of my photos as the background. I sometimes will search the web for clip art of hearts, flowers, or cute little critters that I can incorporate, but most everything else is my own creation. (This year I did not happen to use any clip art.) I usually start out with no specific design in mind. I find a relatively recent photo that I like, and then the card takes shape around the photo.

I'm no graphic designer or Photoshop expert, generally just using it to touch up photos, so it probably takes me much longer to create my cards than it would for a more advanced user. (For example, it took me about 10 minutes last night figure out why the line tool was only drawing pencil-thin lines ). But for someone who has never been artistically inclined AT ALL, I've been very pleased with some of my final results. And since the cards are in 4x6" format, I just upload them to my local CVS store to print a bunch very cheaply and with excellent quality.

If Anybody else does something similar, I would love to see your work (and maybe I can get some ideas for next year!).

Here are the two cards I made last night for Valentine's Day 2014:

And here are some efforts from previous years:

Views: 915
02-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I'm no graphic designer or Photoshop expert
Seems to me, you are
Nice work.
02-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great job. Those girls of yours are beautiful too.
02-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nope
I also have time reserve, as for me.

02-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice pics of your daughters.

But to answer your question, no. Never sent one either. I'm not even sure when Valentines Day falls.
02-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I thought Valentines cards were post to be anonymous, photos on 'em kinda gives the game away...
02-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great job on these, they are very cute.

02-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliments on the cards and the girls. I have to give my wife most of the credit for the girls though.

Just to clarify, particularly for people outside the US and/or without school-age children, the cards are for school. Typically on Valentine's Day each of the children bring a card and some kind of treat to give to each of the other kids in their class. Usually the card is a fill-in-the-blank or hand made deal.

We also give the photo cards to grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc. and they always seem to appreciate them.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 02-11-2014 at 03:21 PM.
02-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Closed Account

WOW ! you have some excellent work there !
02-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
particularly for people outside the US and/or without school-age children, the cards are for school
That explains it, here they are given to folk older than school age, as a token of affection for your loved one from mystery admirer.

So it's all good when you get two dozen, but a real bummer when you get none.
02-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That explains it, here they are given to folk older than school age, as a token of affection for your loved one from mystery admirer.

So it's all good when you get two dozen, but a real bummer when you get none.
Yeah, I think it might be part of our culture today in the US where nobody is allowed to have their feelings hurt. Like how some children's sports organizations have stopped keeping score so that there is no "loser" and nobody feels bad. My wife is from Brazil, and she says that Valentines day isn't observed in schools there, but it's been that way in the US since I was growing up in the 80's.
02-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are really neat. I love #1 and #4 the best. Great work, and interesting idea.
02-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Brilliant idea, beautifully executed!