Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Time for some Manatees
Posted By: slowpez, 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM

We went to Blue Springs, a state park in Florida, to see the manatees. When the ocean temps drop they come inland to enjoy the balmy 72 degree waters of the spring. The day we got there, it was rainy (of course) but their were over 300 manatees counted. This is the first time I managed to get some halfway decent shots of the mammals as they usually look like gray tires laying underwater.

You can get an idea of the numbers here

This guy was eating algae off the dock I was standing on

Hope you enjoyed seeing these beautiful creatures.
Views: 1,959
02-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an amazing thing to see! I've glimpsed things which might have been dugongs (the Australian equivalent of the Manatee) but never been able to watch them like that other than in Sea World. Great photos!

02-14-2014, 04:16 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great images here - grey amorphous beasts in the water when I have tried to take pics in their natural element - great job!.

Up here in the Torres Strait they are also quite common and are generally protected - but laws are given exception allowing them to be hunted by the local Indigenous Torres Strait Islanders for community feasts and celebrations such as weddings and funerals. As you can imagine people are people and the hunting can get out of hand at times.

At coming of age ceremonies (around 18 or 19yrs of age) the young men are given the prized symbol of their manhood - the 'whap', a 15ft hard wood hunting spear for capturing dugongs and turtles.

Being the official photographer at some of these events I have experienced the cooked dugong - they don't taste like chicken. More like pork with a taste of the sea. I won't sully this thread by posting an image of traditionally cooked baby dugong but just visualise a suckling pig. Isn't it interesting how we define what is okay and not okay to eat around the world.

Beautiful gentle giants as you say and really just a large sea going mammalian ruminoid - great to see them thriving in your part of the world.
02-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #33
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing critters, Susan. I've only seen them in Docs. Thanks for bringing them to life
02-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
What an amazing thing to see! I've glimpsed things which might have been dugongs (the Australian equivalent of the Manatee) but never been able to watch them like that other than in Sea World. Great photos!
Thanks for the kind words. Nature never seizes to amaze.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Great images here - grey amorphous beasts in the water when I have tried to take pics in their natural element - great job!.

Up here in the Torres Strait they are also quite common and are generally protected - but laws are given exception allowing them to be hunted by the local Indigenous Torres Strait Islanders for community feasts and celebrations such as weddings and funerals. As you can imagine people are people and the hunting can get out of hand at times.

At coming of age ceremonies (around 18 or 19yrs of age) the young men are given the prized symbol of their manhood - the 'whap', a 15ft hard wood hunting spear for capturing dugongs and turtles.

Being the official photographer at some of these events I have experienced the cooked dugong - they don't taste like chicken. More like pork with a taste of the sea. I won't sully this thread by posting an image of traditionally cooked baby dugong but just visualise a suckling pig. Isn't it interesting how we define what is okay and not okay to eat around the world.

Beautiful gentle giants as you say and really just a large sea going mammalian ruminoid - great to see them thriving in your part of the world.
Thank you Arjay and thanks for sharing some of the culture from your side of the world.

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Amazing critters, Susan. I've only seen them in Docs. Thanks for bringing them to life
Glad you enjoyed them jac.

02-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
At least the name manatee sounds a little more attractive than Dugongs . Thanks for having a look.
Well, you could use the historical name: Sirens. At least some of the books I have read suggest that is what the Sirens really were.
02-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well, you could use the historical name: Sirens. At least some of the books I have read suggest that is what the Sirens really were.
Yes, sirens. I had forgotten that legend.