Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Birds in the Snow
Lens: Sigma 50-500 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Greenville, SC 
Posted By: GvilleRick, 02-12-2014, 03:16 PM

We are being hit by a rare snowstorm and I made sure to fill the feeders before it arrived. The birds have certainly taken advantage.

Views: 1,475
02-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

Beautiful pics of beautiful birds.

As a beginner looking for instruction anywhere I can find it, will you tell me the lense and settings you used?

I just bought a used K5 and an 18- 135 from forum members.My next lens purchase will probably be a short zoom or a 50mm.
I really enjoy the contrast of sharp photos w
a good bokeh.Also like macro photography.

Again, your photos are wonderful.Thanks for sharing them with us.

Deb
02-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The snow on the beak of the second one makes it look like it is particularly chilly.

Beautiful shots and nice diversity of birds.
02-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love that first one. The "What in the heck is this stuff?!?" look.

02-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pyrs n finns Quote
Beautiful pics of beautiful birds.

As a beginner looking for instruction anywhere I can find it, will you tell me the lense and settings you used?

I just bought a used K5 and an 18- 135 from forum members.My next lens purchase will probably be a short zoom or a 50mm.
I really enjoy the contrast of sharp photos w
a good bokeh.Also like macro photography.

Again, your photos are wonderful.Thanks for sharing them with us.

Deb
Thanks, I enjoy getting the shots at the feeders. They are right outside the windows and I can sometimes shoot through an open window to get sharper shots. These shots were with the Sigma 50-500 (the Bigma) non-HSM version. It is my favorite lens to use for these types of shots since I can zoom and get the bird into the whole frame from the relatively close distance. There is very little cropping done on any of these shots. I've also had good luck in the past using the Pentax DA 55-300 lens (which is much less expensive than the Bigma.)

I do love the 18-135 and it spends a good bit of time on my K5iis. I used it this morning to get out and take photos of the snow since it is weather resistant. It's not quite long enough for the bird shots but is a great walkaround lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The snow on the beak of the second one makes it look like it is particularly chilly.

Beautiful shots and nice diversity of birds.
Yeah, I love that shot as well. The feeders trays were filling with snow so the birds had to dig through the snow to get to the food. It was nice to see the variety of birds as well. Cardinals, Towhees, Chickadees, Wrens, Godlfinches, Titmouse, and Jays all made their way to the feeders among others.

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Love that first one. The "What in the heck is this stuff?!?" look.
Yep. It was a surprise for many. We don't get much snow and this is the second storm this month. I also like the tufted look of the last shot. The birds like to hide in the azalea to try and get out of the weather.

Last edited by GvilleRick; 02-12-2014 at 05:04 PM.
02-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Cute birds and really well-shot! Focus, exposure, setup, good job!
02-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great series and wow, that second shot has some bizarre lighting that is very cool.

The 2nd shot and last shot really stand out IMHO and all are excellent.

02-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OnTheWeb Quote
Great series and wow, that second shot has some bizarre lighting that is very cool.

The 2nd shot and last shot really stand out IMHO and all are excellent.
Thanks. I think the lighting on the second is due to the brick house across the yard from the shot and the bokeh it's giving. It was a snowy afternoon. The last shot was one of my favorites as well. We're supposed to get more snow overnight so I look forward to seeing how many bids show up tomorrow.
02-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Those are excellent.

Tony
02-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The situation with the weather for the birds can be serious.
However, some of them look funny.
Great photos.
02-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice shots..
02-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent series. Your bird shots have improved so much you should be proud. Hope you aren't getting sleet today. It has turned from sleet to snow here but the trees have a bit of ice on them. Not much so I hope we don't lose electricity.
02-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The first couple look a wee couple of colourful chapies.

Well captured here, well done.
02-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Excellent series. Your bird shots have improved so much you should be proud. Hope you aren't getting sleet today. It has turned from sleet to snow here but the trees have a bit of ice on them. Not much so I hope we don't lose electricity.
Thanks, Susan. I've been real happy with the K5iis for sports and birds. We went out to walk around the neighborhood this morning and were surprised at how little ice and snow was on the trees. We had a lot of wind last night and it seemed to have blown off most of the snow. We didn't lose power even when the snow turned to sleet yesterday afternoon. The storm of 2005 knocked out our power for a week when a transformer outside our house blew. They restored power and an hour or so later it blew again so we were down another day.

Here are a few shots from this morning.

02-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Another nice series. It has finally warmed up a bit here and husband and son are out tackling the snow. Looks to be about 12" in some places because of the drifts. Hopefully we will be able to get out of the driveway soon.