Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Tufted Titmouse and Bluejay
Lens: Takumar 135mm F2.5 Camera: K-01 Photo Location: Michigan ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: OnTheWeb, 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Tufted Titmouse:

Views: 815
02-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, nice photos! Did you use a TC with these, or just the 135mm? Because you had to be pretty close to these skittish little birds for such closeups, even with 135mm
Focus seems spot on, nice and sharp, and I really like how the lens renders them. The photos are not unsharp, but they have a softness to them, making the birds actually feel soft
Hope to see some more of this combo
02-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the focus was off on the first one, but when I looked at the full sized image, the bird was in focus, just a little soft as Na Horuk indicated, but which I believe is expected for this lens. Second image has a sweetness about it.
02-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wow, nice photos! Did you use a TC with these, or just the 135mm? Because you had to be pretty close to these skittish little birds for such closeups, even with 135mm
Focus seems spot on, nice and sharp, and I really like how the lens renders them. The photos are not unsharp, but they have a softness to them, making the birds actually feel soft
Hope to see some more of this combo
Hi thanks, no TC, just the 135mm and cropped to 16:9. Yes, pretty close to them. I'm good at hiding and have lots of bird seed to tempt them Yes, I like the results from this lens so far... just got it today.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I thought the focus was off on the first one, but when I looked at the full sized image, the bird was in focus, just a little soft as Na Horuk indicated, but which I believe is expected for this lens. Second image has a sweetness about it.
The Jay sort of looks out of focus, but there is part of an out-of-focus pine branch in front of him that is causing some blur in his mid-section, but then you look at his feathers and they seem pretty good.

My first time shooting this lens which I just got from a forum member. Seems like it has potential.

02-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OnTheWeb Quote
The Jay sort of looks out of focus, but there is part of an out-of-focus pine branch in front of him that is causing some blur in his mid-section, but then you look at his feathers and they seem pretty good. My first time shooting this lens which I just got from a forum member. Seems like it has potential.
Ok, that explains it. The effect here is quite subtle, and like I said, it mostly vanished when you look at the full size image and it seems like everything but a small section of the bird is in sharp focus. If you didn't catch this thread from a different member you might find it of interest https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/250151-beautiful-mistake.html - the pine branches are a lot less subtle, but create a very interesting effect.
02-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice captures. I'll have to try your method.

Tony
02-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

well done!
I like this technique and images

02-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the tufted titmouse. He is a beauty.
02-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Those are very good pictures. I love the 135mm range, it can be a challenge to get close but when you manage to, it's very rewarding.