Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Prohibition
Posted By: ftpaddict, 04-15-2008, 03:56 AM

A couple of pictures portraying some form of prohibition.

Comments and feedback are both highly appreciated. Critiques welcome as well, though this is not the purpose of this thread.

First picture, shot with a K100D and FA J 28-80. B/W conversion done in Lightroom

Second picture shot with a Praktica MTL5 and my Zeiss Tessar 50mm @ f/2.8

Thanks for looking!
Views: 2,263
04-15-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Very dramatic shots Dan. I like the first one very much.
04-15-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Dan

Both shots are my cup of tea.

The first shot is symbolic in some ways - a dead brooding deadlock that keeps us separated from inspiration, truth and free thinking. BW conversion is quite well done but I would love to see more contrast

The 2nd shot is definitely even darker. I found the photograph worthy of being posted in magazines as a footprint of modern society. Waste of resources, derelict corners of a busy society. The mood well depicted.

Glad to see your posts
04-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, everybody.

James - I'm glad you enjoyed them. I agree with you on the first one. This is an older version I made. The newer one is more contrasty, but I have been a bit preoccupied with work and post-processing my "gummy bear" story (which you'll see later), and I didn't remember to re-upload the new version.

The second shot was taken in an abandoned factory that looked as if war had swept through. It was a sorry, but fascinating, sight.
I have more pictures of it, but the photo lab I took the film to scanned them horribly. I'll have to take them in for a re-scan.

04-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Igilligan

Hi Dan,

These both really work for me. The first is my favorite, it tells a story, and yet it is something I might walk past everyday. A good reminder to open my 'eye' to the world a little more. Very nice B&W conversion.
The second is a moving image, the lost and forgotton... used and discarded...

Nice work
04-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice images Dan - very expressive.
04-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Love that second shot! Brilliant lighting and composition not too mention it would make a great scene to photograph people.

04-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hi Dan,

These both really work for me. The first is my favorite, it tells a story, and yet it is something I might walk past everyday. A good reminder to open my 'eye' to the world a little more. Very nice B&W conversion.
The second is a moving image, the lost and forgotton... used and discarded...

Nice work
Thank you very much. I actually do pass right by those locks every day. It's been years (probably) since anybody has touched them.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice images Dan - very expressive.
Many thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Love that second shot! Brilliant lighting and composition not too mention it would make a great scene to photograph people.
I sometimes wonder if my use of film had something to do with it. Would any digital camera be able to capture shots as these without having to post-process them? I doubt it.

And there have been portraits taken in this abandoned factory. But they were of me, and I shan't terrorize forumers with my face.