Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Palestinian wedding
Lens: Super Tak 35mm 3.5 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Amman, Jordan 
Posted By: causey, 02-17-2014, 05:42 PM

The wedding took place in our hotel. We just happened to be there, and since we were curious to watch the people dance, we were invited in and given orange juice and cake. I was nervous, because I didn't have the camera with me, and my wife told me, "Can't you just watch and enjoy what you see instead of taking pictures all the time?" After a few minutes I rushed upstairs to grab my camera Half an hour later Iulia (my wife) was happy I could take pics of her with a group of dancers.

The complete set, on my blog.
Views: 832
02-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this is the first time I see a Palestinian wedding
got a beautiful series of photos
Thanks
02-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
The wedding took place in our hotel. We just happened to be there, and since we were curious to watch the people dance, we were invited in and given orange juice and cake. I was nervous, because I didn't have the camera with me, and my wife told me, "Can't you just watch and enjoy what you see instead of taking pictures all the time?" After a few minutes I rushed upstairs to grab my camera Half an hour later Iulia (my wife) was happy I could take pics of her with a group of dancers.
And I hope you shared this story with the new groom to show how the wife is always right
So can you enjoy yourself without a camera in hand?
Very nice to see how welcoming they were and that you and your wife could enhance their festivities
02-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #4

I would love to shoot a wedding like this. I like these a lot.

02-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really enjoyed this set, it looks like they were quite happy to have you photograph the wedding.
02-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great series, thanks for sharing.
02-18-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Interesting looks like a boom mounted movie camera and light in shot 4, perhaps this was no ordinary wedding.

02-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well done I have head that as well from my better half.
02-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zztopd Quote
this is the first time I see a Palestinian wedding
got a beautiful series of photos
Thanks
Thank you, zztopd. The photos are so-so, I think I wasn't prepared to shoot any wedding, esp. inside a room with just a few lights. I had travel/landscape/street lenses in my bag (in my room), but nothing very fast. So I left my Super Tak 35mm on--it happened to be on the camera--and took some shots. We arrived late at the party, which was about to be over... Anyway, I thought Pentaxians would like to see the pics.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
And I hope you shared this story with the new groom to show how the wife is always right
So can you enjoy yourself without a camera in hand?
Very nice to see how welcoming they were and that you and your wife could enhance their festivities
I think people in the Middle East have a slightly different conception of who's always right in a marriage. (Although Jordanians--and surely the rich Palestinian Jordanians who were celebrating the wedding in the Intercontinental Hotel, Amman--seem to be much more liberal than other Arab nations.)
I don't think having a camera in hand is a matter of enjoyment. Rather, not having it hurts.
They were very warm and welcoming, and the group of traditional dancers had no hesitation in responding to my wife request for an impromptu photo shoot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jenny_Riggs Quote
I would love to shoot a wedding like this. I like these a lot.
I'd like to shoot one, too--especially the festivities taking place outside, before the late night party, which was in many ways similar to a normal Western party (except for the presence of the group of traditional dancers you can see in a few pics). Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared to shoot a night event....

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
really enjoyed this set, it looks like they were quite happy to have you photograph the wedding.
Thank you, Bob. The happy people you see in the pics are traditional dancers who had entertained the crowd before the dance ring opened to everyone. There were a few older couples with rather austere facial expressions--they might have been tired; it was around midnight.

QuoteOriginally posted by VladM Quote
Great series, thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Vlad.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Interesting looks like a boom mounted movie camera and light in shot 4, perhaps this was no ordinary wedding.
You're right, Kerrowdown. The guys appeared to be wealthy. Most millionaires in Jordan are Palestinians immigrants (or descendants of Palestinian immigrants. Most ethnic Jordanians take public jobs, while Palestinians--constituting half of Jordan's population--have businesses, shops, etc. And yes, a video team, equipped with everything, was taking records of the wedding.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done I have head that as well from my better half.
Thank you, Dave. Glad you liked the pics. We share a Pentaxian fate.
02-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I love seeing this type of ceremony from other countries. How lucky you and your wife were that they invited you in to help them celebrate. You came back with some wonderful images.
02-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What fun! I really enjoyed these Stefan - nothing brings to joy to folks like a wedding.

Jer