Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Hey tubehead! Get me some more food!
Lens: Tamron 80-210mm F/3.8-4 Adaptall2 Camera: Pentax K-5 II Photo Location: Finland, Tuusula ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Supakatti, 02-20-2014, 07:30 AM

I found out, that a blue tit is a pretty challenging object when you try to manually focus it. With so shallow depth of field and a fast moving object it does not help at all, that with 80-210 you have to stay about two meters away from the object this size. Though a blue tit is a very brave and curious bird, it takes a while it to get used to a man being so close.
I took maybe 50 photos and this was the sharpest I got. But it was fun, and a good practice!

Attached Images

Views: 926
02-20-2014, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everything written about the practice is true. Experience - is the son of difficult errors.
02-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Another photo from the same session.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
02-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

what time of day it was photographed?

You can also try
ISO can be reduced to 800 to reduce noise.
shutter speed will increase to 160-250

02-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find the little guys hard to capture because they move so fast. He is a beautiful bird though. Manual focus is beyond me and I don't worry about noise so much as stopping the action so I keep my speed at 1/1000 to 1/1500 usually and the mode in Tav. Sometimes, especially on a sunny day, you will manage a shot with a lower ISO.
02-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zztopd Quote
what time of day it was photographed?

You can also try
ISO can be reduced to 800 to reduce noise.
shutter speed will increase to 160-250
It was around noon. Not very much light today available. I tried to drop ISO, but the result was unsharp art photos. Those little fellows are really fast.
I can tolerate it, if there is a little bit noise. In my eyes the perfectness of the photo lies in captured moment. Though, it is not a bad thing at all, if the photo is technically good.
02-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Supakatti Quote
It was around noon. Not very much light today available. I tried to drop ISO, but the result was unsharp art photos. Those little fellows are really fast.
I can tolerate it, if there is a little bit noise. In my eyes the perfectness of the photo lies in captured moment. Though, it is not a bad thing at all, if the photo is technically good.

It was around noon. Well.
Then for this time of the day everything is done as it should do.

02-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I find the little guys hard to capture because they move so fast. He is a beautiful bird though. Manual focus is beyond me and I don't worry about noise so much as stopping the action so I keep my speed at 1/1000 to 1/1500 usually and the mode in Tav. Sometimes, especially on a sunny day, you will manage a shot with a lower ISO.
I have been using TAv-mode with automatic focus too. This camera lets me forget worrying about ISO when it is a "normal" light. And the changing of time and aperture is easy.
Sometimes I may want to let the movement show, like with water and trees in a wind, but usually my goal is to stop the object.
02-20-2014, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I have been using TAv-mode with automatic focus too. This camera lets me forget worrying about ISO when it is a "normal" light. And the changing of time and aperture is easy.
Sometimes I may want to let the movement show, like with water and trees in a wind, but usually my goal is to stop the object.
You can experiment with the parameter ISO Sensitivity AUTO Setting (Slow/Normal/Fast)

for example, in Av mode:
"Slow may result in ISO800, 1/60
Normal may result in ISO1600, 1/120
Fast may result in ISO3200, 1/250"

from here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/150318-fast-auto-iso.html
02-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
it takes a while it to get used to a man being so close.
Did you try pre focusing the lens, using a tripod and a remote for firing? it might things a little easier.

You could also sit in comfort while taking you shots.
02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Did you try pre focusing the lens, using a tripod and a remote for firing? it might things a little easier.

You could also sit in comfort while taking you shots.
In fact, I tried prefocusing with a tripod. And I did it sometimes with my previous camera. And sometimes it is the only way, depending of the situation. But I like the feeling holding the camera in my hands. Maybe it is not the most optimal way to get the best shot. But it is the action itself. And how you can feel the camera in your hands... I love it!
02-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I love it!
Now that's the most important bit and long may you feel that about your photography.
02-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I like the posted photo, technically you managed to get a shot, but the second photo you posted, in my opinion is much better!
Nice capture, and yep, keep that feeling of *making* art with your hands on!!
02-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #14

Original Poster
Well, I guess my case is if not closed, a part of it solved at some level. I took another lens today. Tamron 135mm f/2.8 adaptall (CT-135). ISO400, 1/800, F8. Slightly underexposured.
I had more light today, though it was not sunny. Yesterday it was snowing and the weather was pretty cloudy.

It is always a mixture of choices. So many things affect the final result. But after all, it is a matter of taste which one you prefer. I think that my 80-200 is not a lens for shooting small birds on a cloudy day.

Thank you everyone for your friendly and most helpful comments!
Attached Images